Solved How to stop Vegas timeline closing gaps when I delete sections?

• Thank you received: 2

How to stop Vegas timeline closing gaps when I delete sections? was created by PTDevon

Hi All
I have what is probably the most easy question ever here..

but still, I have spent a couple of hours trying to find the answer to it with no joy.

I am trying to create a simple video to go with a song. It's a mixture of several instruments being played, and "out and about" footage. I've got the tracks lined up with the audio track. Of course, I want them to stay that way, but I believe that also have to cut bits out of them so that the "top" video track changes and so, what can be seen on the screen keeps changing to keep things interesting.

If I select a section of a video track, and then delete it, the later video comes back in the timeline to close the gap, so all the remainder of that video track is then out of synch with the audio track. The only way that I have managed to do it is very inefficent, messy and mistake prone. I've been locking the remaining track(s) after I split the sections before them, and then when I delete those split sections, the later sections do not move back (earlier) in the time line. As well as taking ages, this has produced problems that I can't fully explain, where the footage looks like it doesn't sych anymore.

I know that there HAS to be a FAR FAR easier way than this. What I am trying to do is like the ABC of music video production. I just need to change around what is shown on the screen from my different tracks as the audio track plays, but I need all the tracks that relate to the music to stay in sycnh with the music.

Please can anyone help??? Please?!?

Paul
07 Oct 2020 08:32 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1425

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to stop Vegas timeline closing gaps when I delete sections?

Without seeing your timeline, I am guessing what you are describing.

If I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like you have the Auto-Ripple tool turned on.
When the Auto-Ripple tool is turned on, it automatically closes gaps when you delete parts of a video.
I recommend you keep the Auto-Ripple tool turned OFF for most editing and only turn it on when absolutely needed.

Which exact version of Vegas Movie Studio are you using ?
The reason I ask, is because the Auto-Ripple tool is located in different places, depending on which version of Vegas you are using.

To learn where it is located, read this FAQ:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/520-auto-ripple-settings-movie-studio-platinum-13

To learn how to use it, read this FAQ:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/182-rubberband-media-on-timeline

When creating a music video, the best way to edit your project is to turn on Multi-Cam video editing.
Multi-Camera editing allows you to have different videos synced on different video tracks, and then switch between each video track without anything going out of sync.
I have an old tutorial on this topic here:
The multi-camera tool has been upgraded since I made this tutorial, but the basics are still the same.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/580-edit-multi-cam-video-movie-studio-platinum

If you get stuck with using any of the controls, go to Help / Contents and Index
Go to Index tab and search "multi-camera video".
If you still can't understand anything after reading the help file, post another message here,

Regards
Derek
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
07 Oct 2020 11:00 #2
Attachments:

Replied by PTDevon on topic How to stop Vegas timeline closing gaps when I delete sections?

HI Derek
Thanks very much for responding!
Regarding the Autoripple setting, I had wondered if it was that, but I’d noticed that it was switched off. I can see it via config near the bottom, and also via the options menu. So, it is switched off, but it is MSP (13 by the way) is still pulling things back in the timeline when I create a gap by cutting a section of an event out. Could it be something else causing this?

I’ve tried to look into and learn about multicamera mode. I tried to look at it in the help section on MSP13, so I could explore the links etc like in your screenprint, but I just got this (attached). Even the main help feature seems to be playing funny games with me.

Thanks a lot for trying to help. I’m still lost unfortunately.

Paul
08 Oct 2020 00:55 #3
Attachments:

Replied by PTDevon on topic How to stop Vegas timeline closing gaps when I delete sections?

Hi Derek. I must have made some kind of mistake (and I'm sure that is true in most cases). It stopped doing the snapping back / closing the gap thing. I was sure the thing was off. Doing the multi cam thing looked interesting. I'll try that on my next attempt. This time it was a bit much to combine with all the fact that I was incorporating other videos that were not timed to the music and needed cutting, speeding up, etc. It's a mess of a pop video but there's nothing wrong with that necessarily. Thanks for your help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
08 Oct 2020 05:53 #4

• Thank you received: 1425

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to stop Vegas timeline closing gaps when I delete sections?

Auto-Ripple is the only tool that closes the gaps !

Since you are using version 13, my tutorial for creating Multi-Camera video is perfect for you to watch before you do your next project.
Mutli-Cam is the best method for making Music Videos.

All the best :)
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
08 Oct 2020 11:00 #5

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2020 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.