Solved Lost Project

• Thank you received: 5

Lost Project was created by Don1937

I am using Movie Studio 14.0 (Build 148).  I have been working on a new project for a few days.  My last attempt to retrieve the project from the dropdown menu was unsuccessful and the work seems to be lost.  Previously, I have had no problem retrieving my work.  However my last attempt resulted in the following: (I) I clicked on the project name on the dropdown list; (II)  An error message appeared;  (III) The project then disappeared from the menu and all attempts to find it have been unsuccessful.  I found an address in the "Save As"  box but a search of that  address was unsuccessful.  As a 'test', I attempted to retrieve another similar completed project on the dropdown list (Shirley's Tape) but this suffered the same fate.  I have attached screenshots of the second operation and of the "Save As" box showing the address of my lost project.        
Fortunately I had only completed a few minutes of my project.  I would appreciate any advice about retrieving the lost work, if possible,  and how to avoid any future recurrence of the situation.
Don H
10 Mar 2021 09:53 #1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 263

Replied by ericlnz on topic Lost Project

Are you really saving to your User\AppData\Local\Temp file ???????  It's the last place you should be using.  Windows has probably tidied up your temp files and deleted your project files.

You should be saving to a document folder somewhere.  By default VMS usually saves to a "Movie Studio 14 Projects" folder in your User Documents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Don1937
10 Mar 2021 11:27 #2

Replied by Don1937 on topic Lost Project

Thank you.  I must confess that until now, I have not taken note of where the saving is taking place.  In the past, I now know that any saving (and there has been a lot of it) has been to "Movie Studio 14 Projects" by default.  In this case, something else has happened which I did not check.  Unfortunately I do not have the computer training to look out for these things.  At my age, it's learn by mistakes .... and I have learned a lesson today.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Don H 
10 Mar 2021 12:08 #3

• Thank you received: 1490

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Lost Project

The best way to avoid saving projects into the wrong folder, it to always start New Projects this way.
Click off any screens that may appear when you start the program.
1. Go to Project/New
2. Give your project a unique Name
3. Make sure the Folder location is set to Documents/Movie Studio Platinum ## Projects
4. Select Manage Project Files - this will create a special folder structure for your project

It might be worth watching this Beginners Guide tutorial for v14:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/584-beginners-guide-vegas-movie-studio-14-platinum

Regards
Derek
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
10 Mar 2021 14:26 #4
Attachments:

Replied by Don1937 on topic Lost Project

Thank you Derek.
This is the first time I've had this problem after many years of working with VMP.  I just saved without checking.  Today, I have redone the missing material (with some improvements, I believe), and made sure it was saved in the correct place!  I have learnt another lesson.
Thank you for your continued support.
Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
10 Mar 2021 16:22 #5

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2021 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.