VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

• DoctorZen
  • DoctorZen's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Don't Panic !
  • Thank you received: 1557
Let's get real, before the confusion starts and we (the senior members of this forum) have to explain what has happened to the unaware casual users of Vegas.

Movie Studio 18, Movie Studio 18 Platinum and Movie Studio 18 Suite
are not the new updated versions of...
Vegas Movie Studio 17, Vegas Movie Studio 17 Platinum and Vegas Movie Studio 17 Suite

The Vegas Movie Studio product line has been cancelled and retired - end of story - it's that simple.
I have my own thoughts as to why this has happened, but I'll leave that for each individual to make their own conclusions as to the "why now?"

Movie Studio 18 = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 = Magix Video Deluxe in Germany
Movie Studio 18 Platinum = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 Plus = Magix Video Deluxe Plus in Germany
Movie Studio 18 Suite = Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021 Premium = Magix Video Deluxe Premium in Germany

Magix has just rebranded their German made consumer video editor line up and stuck a different label on the box.
If you bought a Ford Mustang yesterday, it is now a Volkswagen Polo.
There are now 3 different product names for the exact same product.
The only difference as far as I am aware, is the extra plugins that come bundled with each version.
The core program is the same.

Calling Movie Studio 18 version 18 is misleading - it is not version 18 of Vegas Movie Studio, because it is nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio (made in the USA) and everything to do with Magix Movie Edit Pro (made in Germany)!
It is version 1 of Movie Studio or version 2021 of Movie Edit Pro/Video Deluxe.

Personally it is a really sad day for myself and many others.
Vegas Movie Studio was a unique video editing program in the consumer video editing market segment - there was nothing quite like it at this price point, because it offered so many advanced features that are normally only seen in Professional level programs.
It was the consumer video editing program for nerds and geeks, who liked to exercise their brains instead of being spoon fed.

I can't imagine many Vegas Movie Studio editors who have enjoyed using the program for many years, will want anything to do with Movie Studio 18. It is a definite step down to say it politely. I'm trying my best to stay restrained and not saying anything I'll regret later, because I'm still a loyal fan/user of Vegas Pro.

I'm not sure what happens next???
I'll still be using Vegas Pro myself and of cause some Vegas Movie Studio users will now make the upgrade to Vegas Pro, but I honestly don't know what I would advise beginners to use now. I need to find a cave in the Himalayas and meditate on this for a very long time before I will know how to proceed into the future.

Does anyone know what day the funeral for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum will be?
Will there be a church service?
Will it be live streamed via Zoom?

I wonder what type of beer Vegas Movie Studio would have enjoyed, because I'd like to crack one open now for her/him/it.

Peace be with you Vegas Movie Studio - you will be sadly missed ????????
If only Jesus was here, He could resurrect you.
Maybe when someone realizes what a terrible decision this is, Vegas Movie Studio will be reborn on day.

Sad regards,
Derek (aka Doctor Zen)

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:29 Jul 2021 15:06 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, tuppers, vkmast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by vkmast on topic Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 14 Jul 2021 23:11 #2
Thanks Derek for your comment. Companies also sometimes move in a mysterious way.

Please see the VEGAS team comment here  www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/movie-studio-18-vs-vegas-movie-studio--130402/
Last Edit:15 Jul 2021 00:21 by vkmast

• ets
  • ets's Avatar Offline
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 6

Replied by ets on topic Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 15 Jul 2021 03:28 #3
that’s a little bit what I predicted in another topic.....
too much pushing to upgrade to vegas pro.....
and waiting more than a month for fixing the proxy files error.......
hope to find practical comparison between 17 and 18 ......
or is it a totally different workflow.......?

or maybe just upgrading to the pro version.......

need also some time to figure this out......
all the best
e.
by ets

Replied by vkmast on topic Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 15 Jul 2021 04:30 #4
There's the free trials to test with if you really want to consider moving to a different program.

www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/free-trials/video-editor-free-download/
by vkmast

Replied by wo0d643 on topic Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 18 Jul 2021 03:05 #5
Is there a comparison somewhere between Movie Studio Plat and Pro Edit?  I dont see anything but comparisons of Pro versions or of Movie Studio versions.  I dont want to lose support for software i paid for.  I still have random crashes in Movie Studio Plat that I had hoped would be resolved at some point.  That no longer seems it will happen.  Will a get a properly stable software with Pro Edit 18 if i give them another $100?

Thanks
by wo0d643

• DoctorZen
  • Don't Panic !

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 18 Jul 2021 11:38 #6

Is there a comparison somewhere between Movie Studio Plat and Pro Edit?

No. Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and the new "Magix" replacement, have nothing to do with each other.
They are two completely different programs.

As far as crashes go, that is normally related to each specific project and what is in it.
Random crashes happen in all Video Editing programs! They are complex programs and none of them are 100% perfect.

If you like editing in the Vegas environment and don't want to relearn everything with a completely different program, you have 2 options.
Continue to use your current version of Vegas Movie Studio for a few more years
OR
Upgrade to Vegas Pro 18 Edit

There is currently a one time deal offer for Vegas Movie Studio owners to upgrade to Vegas Pro 18 Edit, for only $99.
Use this link to access offer:
zen3.me/vegaspro99

OR There is the 2 for 1 deal for $149 which you can access by using the Ad at top of this page
Buy Vegas Pro 18 Edit now and get free upgrade to Vegas Pro 19 Edit when it is released at the end of August.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by mjddewet on topic Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 19 Jul 2021 00:13 #7
I started using Sony's Vegas Movie Studio from Version 6 (AFAIR it was in 2007/2008) and have just had good experiences with it.  My hobby is making videoś of antique tractors and farming equipment of days gone by, and then producing DVD's and selling it.

I retired end of 2018 from my IT job as a Solaris (Unix) sysadmin.  Combining my knowledge of IT-stuff and my passion for video/photography has kept me occupied.

So, just this past week I opted to change to using Linux Mint 20 as my desktop OS, as I wanted (for years in fact) to move away from Windows.   What kept me on Windows was my video editing suite.  So now, by retiring Vegas Movie Studio, whoever took the decision, has done me a favour.

What am I moving to?  Glad you asked: KdenLive.  It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux, and is free and gratis. 

In place of DVD Architect, I'll be using DVDStyler, and my test runs with it, has been on par with DVD Architect.  The only issue maybe with the copy protection, and if push comes to shove, I may retain DVD Architect and run it on Wine..

I'm prepared to share my experiences with this transition with you, and will try and give feedback here on a weekly basis.

Last Edit:20 Jul 2021 10:30 by mjddewet

Replied by wo0d643 on topic Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 19 Jul 2021 01:47 #8
It looked to me that the $99 deal was included in the 18 to 19 thing as well. Is that not true?
by wo0d643

• DoctorZen
  • Don't Panic !

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio 18 has nothing to do with Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 19 Jul 2021 13:31 #9

It looked to me that the $99 deal was included in the 18 to 19 thing as well. Is that not true?
The $99 deal is only an upgrade to Vegas Pro 18 Edit.
Link to deal here:
zen3.me/vegaspro99

The 2 for 1 deal for $149 is a different offer.
With this deal, you get Vegas Pro 18 Edit right now and then a free upgrade to Vegas Pro 19 Edit, when it is released in late August.
2 for 1 deal can be accessed by pressing Ad at top of this page.

Regards
Derek

• DoctorZen
  • Don't Panic !

Posted 19 Jul 2021 13:34 #10

I started using Sony's Vegas Movie Studio from Version 6 (AFAIR it was in 2007/2008) and have just had good experiences with it.  My hobby is making videoś of antique tractors and farming equipment of days gone by, and then producing DVD's and selling it.

I retired end of 2018 from my IT job as a Solaris (Unix) sysadmin.  Combining my knowledge of IT-stuff and my passion for video/photography has kept me occupied.

So, just this past week I opted to change to using Linux Mint 20 as my desktop OS, as I wanted (for years in fact) to move away from Windows.   What kept me on Windows was my video editing suite.  So now, by retiring Vegas Movie Studio, whoever took the decision, has done me a favour.

What am I moving to?  Glad you asked: KdenLive.  It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux, and is free and gratis. 

In place of DVD Architect, I'll be using DVDStyler, and my test runs with it, has been on par with DVD Architect.  The only issue maybe with the copy protection, and if push comes to shove, I may retain DVD Architect and run it on Wine..

I'm prepared to share my experiences with this transition with you, and will try and give feedback here on a weekly basis.

Hi mjddewet

If you would like to share on the forum about this, start a new forum thread when you are ready, so it has it's own Topic.

Regards
Derek
Last Edit:20 Jul 2021 10:30 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjddewet

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.806 seconds