VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Movie Studio 17 (not Platinum) freezes on startup

Movie Studio 17 (not Platinum) freezes on startup was created by dl83gator

Posted 25 Aug 2021 02:01 #1
I have Movie Studio 17, build 178. Started using it in January. About a month ago it began to freeze on startup. I would get the splash screen and, as it looks like the program is trying to start, an ad to upgrade to platinum pops up. Then nothing. I've let it sit for hours, hoping there was something clogged up in the startup process. Nothing. I've attached a screenshot.
I have tried:
Uninstalling and re-installing. Multiple times.
Holding Ctrl-Shift while double-clicking the shortcut icon on my desktop to clear the cache.

I'm running Windows 10 Home, version 21H1. 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz   2.80 GHz, w/ 16GB of RAM
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last Edit:25 Aug 2021 12:01 by dl83gator
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio 17 (not Platinum) freezes on startup

Posted 25 Aug 2021 12:25 #2
Hi dl83gator

If there is no error message, this is almost impossible to diagnose.

1. Do not try and open any saved projects.
2. The program should open in less than 20 seconds. If doesn't open after 30 seconds, it is not going to open.
3. Build #178 is the final build version ever released for Vegas Movie Studio 17 and the program has now been officially retired.
It's a shame you did not buy the Platinum version, which is infinitely superior. The non-platinum version is very basic.
4. I have the latest build version of Windows 10 installed and Vegas Movie Studio 17 is opening OK for me

5. There is something I do not understand?
If the Advert window has popped up, that means the program has opened.
The Advert window only opens after ALL of the program has loaded.

6. Reset the program again and make sure the small reset window actually has opened - select Clear Cache.
Instructions here:  www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

When then advert window opens, select box in lower left corner that says Do not show this message again, and then close window.

After you click off this window, you should see this:

If you can get to this window, let me know.

7. If you can't get to the default desktop, it sounds like something in your Windows 10 install has become corrupted and is causing problems for VMS17.
Without an error message, it is impossible for me to know what to tell you.
Normally I tell people to do a full clean install of Windows 10 as a last resort - this is the only way to repair Windows if it has become corrupted.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by dl83gator on topic Movie Studio 17 (not Platinum) freezes on startup

Posted 03 Sep 2021 01:15 #3
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm getting the same result. I guess it's time to move on from Movie Studio. Thanks again.
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 11:37 by dl83gator

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.862 seconds