VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Movie Studio 15 keeps crashing.

Movie Studio 15 keeps crashing. was created by mcmillankaleb

Posted 29 Oct 2021 10:19 #1
I'm trying to use Movie Studio Platinum 15 and it keeps crashing. I've attempted to clear the cache and my GPU is set to off. Any more recommendations for how to fix it? Or if not, what is a different version that I could buy? I tried upgrading to Movie Studio Platinum 18 but it was a "bait and switch" that was nothing like the old versions. Obviously I'd prefer to fix this version rather than pay for the upgrade but I'll do what I gotta do

More details concerning the crash:

Problem Description
Application Name: Movie Studio Platinum
Application Version: Version 15.0 (Build 146)
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
Fault Module: C:\Program Files\VEGAS\Movie Studio Platinum 15.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\so4compoundplug\So4Reader.dll
Fault Address: 0x00007FFC6972FC65
Fault Offset: 0x000000000045FC65

Fault Process Details
Process Path: C:\Program Files\VEGAS\Movie Studio Platinum 15.0\MovieStudioPlatinum150.exe
Process Version: Version 15.0 (Build 146)
Process Description: Movie Studio Platinum
Process Image Date: 2018-07-17 (Tue Jul 17) 00:51:34

Thanks for any help!
Last Edit:29 Oct 2021 13:41 by mcmillankaleb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio 15 keeps crashing.

Posted 29 Oct 2021 13:50 #2
The first thing you need to do, is download and install the final build version, which is #157.
Go to this download page and enter your Serial number.
Then download and install update.
www.magix.com/us/support/my-service-center/product-downloads/

After the update, make sure to reset program.
Reset instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

If it keeps crashing after installing the update, what exactly are you doing when the program crashes ?
What types of video are you importing? Where did it comes from? Video Camera, Mobile phone, etc.....?

The error report is telling us that the Magix Decoder is not able to decode the type of video you are working with.
It would be good if I could get a report on the type of video you are using.
Read/watch this tutorial on how to use MediaInfo app and then upload a report to the forum here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/640-how-to-use-mediainfo-app

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by mcmillankaleb on topic Movie Studio 15 keeps crashing.

Posted 01 Nov 2021 05:11 #3
Derek, whenever I try to download the latest build (#157), it says it cannot because the program is still running in the background. However, as far as I know the program is not running. Any suggestions?
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 11:48 by mcmillankaleb

Posted 01 Nov 2021 10:59 #4
This is an error that can sometimes happen.
You should be able to fix it, buy uninstalling Movie Studio 15 first.
Then re-boot your computer.
And finally, run the new #157 program file (double-click to install).
Everything should work OK this time.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 02 Nov 2021 11:39 #5
Awesome. The update worked but the software continues to crash so it must have to be the files. It's the same method I've always used with videos on Movie Studio. I take them on my iphone, get them onto google photos and then download them onto to my computer from there and then bring them into Movie Studio. There are a couple hundred clips that are in there but the crashing didn't start occurring until I put in the last 30 or so. 

Extra Information
   File:                C:\Users\MAC-KDM-DELL\AppData\Local\Movie Studio Platinum\15.0\dx_video_grovel_x64.log
   File:                C:\Users\MAC-KDM-DELL\AppData\Local\Movie Studio Platinum\15.0\svfx_video_grovel_x64.log
   File:                C:\Users\MAC-KDM-DELL\AppData\Local\Movie Studio Platinum\15.0\ocio_x64.log
   File:                C:\Users\MAC-KDM-DELL\AppData\Local\Movie Studio Platinum\15.0\dx_grovel_x64.log
   File:                C:\Users\MAC-KDM-DELL\AppData\Local\Movie Studio Platinum\15.0\gpu_video_x64.log

This was the "extra information" it gave me when it crashed. Are these potentially the problem files? Is my next step to use Media info?

Posted 02 Nov 2021 13:26 #6
It sounds like the file type being produced by your iPhone is not compatible with Vegas Movie Studio.
This is a very common problem for many Windows/Vegas users.

If the files are videos, I recommend you convert them with a program called Handbrake, then import the converted files into Movie Studio - they should work OK after that.
If they are image files, I can't help you with that.
Check the file extension and then Google for help articles on how to convert iPhone image files for Windows compatibility.

For help with converting videos with Handbrake, watch this tutorial I made.
Start watching at 5:23

Please note that the newest version of Handbrake has changed slightly, but you should be able to adapt quite easily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcmillankaleb

Posted 06 Nov 2021 14:30 #7
Is there a way to do a large amount of videos at the same time with the same settings on handbrake rather than adjusting each one?

Posted 06 Nov 2021 14:50 #8

Is there a way to do a large amount of videos at the same time with the same settings on handbrake rather than adjusting each one
If all the videos you want to encode are located in the same folder, you can use the Folder (Batch Scan) function, when Handbrake starts.
OR
You can add one video at a time, then press Add to Queue after each file import.
Press File/Open Source - Add to Queue
Then press Queue to view your Queue
After you have set your Settings, open queue and press Start Queue.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mcmillankaleb

Posted 07 Nov 2021 11:35 #9
The conversions only kind of fixed the issue. It is still crashing but just less often now. It is still running very slow. Do you have any last recommendations? If not, say I were to upgrade to Vegas 19. Do you think I would be issue free there?

Replied by ericlnz on topic Movie Studio 15 keeps crashing.

Posted 07 Nov 2021 14:02 #10
Download the 30 day trial and find out for yourself on your system.  www.moviestudiozen.com/deals
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.917 seconds