VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Loved How to Use Movie Studio Suite to Optimize Video Quality (Blu-ray Disc) & Minimize Trimming Time

I'm somewhat new to video editing. My experience to date is with Windows Movie Maker and PlayMemories Home. I like the video quality of m2ts files, but find the simple editing process of taking 6 to 8 video clips, trimming out foot shots and video bombs, then creating a final product i.e. computer file in 1920x1080 and HD quality DVD or Blu-ray discs. I want the highest quality video possible. Second priority is basic editing that does not reduce video quality. Additional video editing features are nice, but lower priority.

I give computer files on DVD to club members to play on computer or DVD player and have put about 60 videos on YouTube. It appears that loading videos to YouTube reduces quality even more due to their compression process, which increases as video length increases, but that's the way it is. My video source is a Sony HDR-XR500v, which is consumer level quality camera, but I shoot everything in HD. Computer CPU, RAM, SSD, HDD, Storage, and Graphics Adapter are not an issue and I use a dedicated system for video. I shoot videos of remote control model aircraft, which is very challenging without professional level camera and stabilization.

Windows Movie Maker has difficulty with m2ts files; frame controls do not respond instantly as it does with other file types, which makes trimming clips very time consuming. Video quality is reduced by compression in both wmv and mp4 file formats, but probably less that what YouTube does? Is there any other strategy other than shorter videos for YouTube? Also, Windows Movie Maker creates DVD's but not Blu-ray disc.

PlayMemories Home has excellent video quality (m2ts files vs. mp4 or wmv), but just trimming video clips seems to be very labor intensive compared to Windows Movie Maker. I purchased Movie Studio Platinum 13 (Movie Studio Suite version)in hopes of a more efficient editing process, but it appears to be the same "make and save the good stuff" process instead of quickly deleting the bad stuff. Here's where I need your wisdom and experience: Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way to use Movie Studio Suite?

Movie Studio Platinum 13 may require more trimming/editing time to produce the highest quality video (Blu-ray disc), but at this time I just don't have the knowledge and experience to determine if the investment in clip trimming time is the optimum solution. Are there technical, file format, legal or other reasons for Sony's approach to trimming video clips? What are your recommendations?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Steve

My approach is to always make everything as simple as possible, with as least amount of steps as possible.

My first question is about understanding your concerns about "clip trimming time".
I am not sure I am understanding what you actually mean by this, because it doesn't matter which video editing program you use when it comes to the actual "cutting up and editing of video clips". This is a normal part of video editing - cutting video into pieces to get the parts you want to keep. Video Editing programs cannot read your mind and cut the video for you - maybe in a few hundred years this feature will arrive. This part you have to learn by practising on projects over and over again. As you gain more experience, you will learn more shortcuts and be able to edit faster. The program itself cannot do this part for you.
There are many tools provided which do make the process easier and faster. In my beginners guide video for Movie Studio Platinum 13, I show and explain some of those tools. Beginners Guide for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

One of my favourite tools for speeding up the editing process, is the Auto Ripple Tool.
I have an article which explains how to use it here. Please also read the 2nd article linked in this article as well (will make sense when you read this page).
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/520-auto-ripple-settings-movie-studio-platinum-13

I still don' t understand what you mean by this: "Are there technical, file format, legal or other reasons for Sony's approach to trimming video clips?"
It's your job to trim the clips, not Sony's. I am guessing that I just don't understand what you really mean by this. There are no legal restrictions on how you use any of Sony's programs. Movie Studio Platinum and Vegas Pro support a wide range of File Formats, which I have listed in this article www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/503-how-to-convert-video-into-different-video-codecs-and-formats

If you want high quality video, then don't even look at making DVDs - it is impossible. DVDs only use Standard Definition video, about 1/4 the resolution of 1080 HD Blu-ray video. If you want decent video, you must make Blu-ray discs.
In this forum post I show all the official formats your can render to when making a Blu-ray disc.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/49-rendering-to-blu-ray-disc#191

Movie Studio Platinum and Vegas Pro both conform to the international standard for making Blu-ray video. Both programs already have all the "Make Movie" (Render As) template options, for all possible output formats suitable for Blu-ray disc production. The most important factor that determines your final video quality, always goes back to the quality of the original video recording.

The best thing you can do to increase the quality of your videos and Blu-ray discs, is to learn how to apply some level of Colour Correction. Applying just some basic filters, will make a BIG difference in your final product. I have an in-depth article and video which will teach you all about this topic. Movie Studio Platinum does not have the advanced features that Vegas pro has, but is DOES come with most of the same Video Effects for Colour Correction.
Please read/watch: How to use Colour Correction Tools in Sony Vegas Pro

Final comment.
I am working on a large amount of new training material at this very moment - specifically for Movie Studio Platinum 13. It should have been released quite some time ago, however I basically spent most of 2014 recovering from the side effects of surgery on my brain. After many false starts, I finally have my health back to a decent functioning level and look forward to rejuvenating this website with brand new material.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Jan 2015 19:33 by DoctorZen

Derek,

Thank you for the excellent response. I agree 100% with everything you wrote. First to explain my confusion and misunderstanding about editing video. I think it was the result of viewing some of the "Show Me How" in the trial version I downloaded about 3 weeks ago. Today, when I read the topics listed in your "Beginners Guide for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13" and saw "How to Split, Cut and Delete Video", my issue was completely resolved. I mistakenly thought the process involved saving numerous pieces of video from a dozen clips and then re-assembling them to create a video. I'm glad that was totally wrong. "Split, Cut and Delete" is what I had been using in Movie Maker, but it seems to be missing from PlayMemories Home.

I watched your Beginners Guide today and the Movie Studio software far exceeds my current needs and will eventually give me capabilities I didn't think possible for home users. Your tutorials will make the learning process go much faster given the significantly advanced capabilities of Movie Studio. My next step will be to review the Beginners Guide again and also look at the other references in your response.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. Your tutorials should be required viewing for all new users of Movie Studio. I especially liked the hints on setup, how to save video, and getting the most out of hardware to reduce rendering time. Many times it's the little details that make a big difference!

Regards,
Steve Black
Last Edit:31 Jan 2015 00:51 by steve1916
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.781 seconds