VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How can I improve output video quality?

• Sinxar
  • Sinxar's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

How can I improve output video quality? was created by Sinxar

Posted 02 May 2015 13:00 #1
Hello. I am considering various cheap video editors and Movie Studio Platinum 13 stands out for me because I have used Vegas Pro in the past and it is more familiar.

I am recording PC gameplay to test the program and so far the results are less than stellar (IMO). My issue is that even at fairly high bitrates there is a large amount of blurring and graininess being introduced into the render. I am not sure what information you would need to help me with this but I have been messing around with the limited settings for the past 3 days with no real improvement.

For starters here are the rendering settings I am using.

note: I actually used the "High" profile when rendering the video referenced below.

While the video itself is reasonably smooth the look of it just doesn't sit well with me. Is there a way to sharpen the output video? Let me know if you need more information.

-1920x1080 images-
This is a screenshot of the source material

This is a screenshot of the rendered material
Last Edit:02 May 2015 13:06 by Sinxar
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How can I improve output video quality?

Posted 02 May 2015 19:29 #2
Hi Sinxar

There are two things you can look at.

#1. Turn off Re-Sampling.
Re-Sampling is turned on by default in Movie Studio and Vegas Pro, and it can make videos look blurry.
To fix this, right-click all your videos on the timeline and go to Switches - Disable Re-sample.
Now re-render your video.

#2. The second thing you can do, is record your gameplay at 60fps and render to 60fps in Movie Studio.
60fps video works better with fast moving objects.
To render at 60fps, manually type 60fps into Frame Rate box for custom settings.
Please note that the original video must be recorded at 60fps for this to work properly.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 May 2015 19:29 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sinxar, Archlich

• Sinxar
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by Sinxar on topic How can I improve output video quality?

Posted 02 May 2015 19:39 #3
Thanks for the tips. I'll give that a try later today. Is there a way to disable re-sampling by default?
by Sinxar

Posted 03 May 2015 01:40 #4
You have to disable re-samping manually.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by TreeTops on topic How can I improve output video quality?

Posted 03 May 2015 03:27 #5
I find that doing that manually is a chore. I have bits and pieces in many tracks, So I have to select each track separately and then right mouse>>Switches>>Desample? That works one track at a time. Selecting all tracks (Ctrl a) and trying to do that doesn't work as the Switches menu isn't present on right mouse.when all tracks are selected.

Is there an easier way Doctor Zen?

Posted 03 May 2015 03:53 #6
You cannot use Ctrl + A because that is selecting non-video objects with videos - that is why controls are greyed out.

Correct Method
Hold down Ctrl key and manually click on top of all video clips you want to change. Make sure to only click video component and not audio component.
Then go to Switches - Disable re-sample.
Function is now available to set as group.

The best time to Disable Re-sampling is directly after importing clips to timeline before you begin editing into smaller pieces.
Last Edit:03 May 2015 03:56 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sinxar

Replied by TreeTops on topic How can I improve output video quality?

Posted 03 May 2015 06:14 #7
That does it. Much thanks.

• Sinxar
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 03 May 2015 06:19 #8
Alright I think I am getting the hang of it now. This sample video was produced with OBS as the capture source and at 1080p the video almost exactly matches the source. It is a bit crappy looking but the point is that is matches the source fairly well.

Thank very much for your assistance.
Last Edit:22 Nov 2015 15:05 by Sinxar

• Sinxar
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 04 May 2015 03:43 #9
Ok I have another question. Is it possible to access the advanced options for rendering like it was in Vegas Pro 9? I installed the x264vfw codec and in Vegas it let me use that to render with and it exposed options like b-frames. Is this possible to do in Movie Studio Platinum 13? I have the codecs installed but there is no option to use them in the rendering options.

ed: Nevermind I figured it out!
Last Edit:04 May 2015 06:20 by Sinxar

Replied by Eagle eye. on topic How can I improve output video quality?

Posted 27 May 2015 13:31 #10
Have just been reading through your entire forum today Derek and was very interested in your instruction to disable 'resampling' in this posted subject. I confess I had never heard about this feature before. So I shot a short 1080 50p video and put two copies of the same video file on the same MSP13 timeline. I disabled resampling on one but not the other. The footage out of my NX70p was fairly sharp anyway but what I did notice was when panning the footage that had 'resampling' disabled looked sharper than the other. This was not what I expected to see. Would the lack of resampling have been responsible for the improved resolution during the pan Derek? :woohoo:
Last Edit:14 Jul 2015 00:51 by Eagle eye.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.817 seconds