VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Time lapse problems MS Platinum 12

• Sven
  • Sven's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Time lapse problems MS Platinum 12 was created by Sven

Posted 06 Dec 2015 05:01 #1
Hello there
This is my first post on the forum. I am quite a newbie as far as video editing goes so I've a long way to go!
I am having an issue with creating a timelapse using stills.
This sequence is taken using a SJ4000 action cam (Gopro copy) The photos are all numbered sequequentially from no 1740001 upwards.
It always numbers them from that number onwards which seems odd but who am I to question this !
When I drag the newly put together video from the preview window onto the timeline and i click on Play, I see the first picture briefly and then only a black screen.
Has anybody had this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is super frustrating.
Thanks
Sven
by Sven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Time lapse problems MS Platinum 12

Posted 06 Dec 2015 10:37 #2
Hi Sven

I deleted your other Forum post which seemed like a copy of this message.

I opened your project file and learned a very interesting piece of information.
Your time-lapse video says 17400001.JPG - 18360668.JPG

Some simple maths
18360668 - 17400001 = 960,667 images !!!
That equals almost 1 million images.
I can't imagine that you actually shot 960,667 images.

If that was converted to video running at 25 frames per second, the video would go for 640 hours ! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

960,667 / 25 fps = 38426.68 minutes
38426.68 / 60 minutes = 640 hours

My guess is that your problem has something to do with how your camera names each image file.
If you scroll down the page here, you can see a screen shot of how GoPro images look inside my folder.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/488-creating-a-timelapse-with-movie-studio-platinum-12

Are you able to reset your camera and get the images to go back to zero.
I never even heard of SJ4000 action cam until today.
I did some quick Google searches and see that this is a Chinese inspired copy of GoPro, but I also learnt that there are fake copies of SJ4000 action cam as well, which have problems. Hopefully you own original SJ4000 action cam.

If you can't reset your camera to output a normal number system, I think your solution would be to re-name all your images into a different sequential number series first. Something like IMG00001, IMG0002, IMG0003,........

You may be able to do this with software like this:
download.cnet.com/Bulk-Rename-Utility/3000-2248_4-10174242.html

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:06 Dec 2015 14:06 by DoctorZen

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic Time lapse problems MS Platinum 12

Posted 06 Dec 2015 13:25 #3
Derek,
Renaming his files should be easy. All he has to do is select them all and then go to the first file and rename it and all the rest will have the same name with a sequential number after it. I do that all the time with my 4 trail cameras when I want to combine all the photos, or videos, into a single slide show or video. I have to do that because all the cameras name their file the same way and if I tried to download them into the same directory the files from the previous camera would get over written.
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 06 Dec 2015 14:00 #4
Thank you very much for that excellent solution !

I totally forgot about this easier method, because it is something I only do when there is a blue moon. :mrgreen:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter

Posted 06 Dec 2015 14:09 #5
ooops I think I deleted my response ....

BTW: If you don't need all of the files you can hold down Ctrl and select (right click with mouse) just the files you want to use and do the same thing. ONLY the files that you selected will then be sequentially renamed ... ( I have to do that a LOT also :-) )
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3

GTX-1070
Last Edit:06 Dec 2015 14:10 by MrGrunthunter

• Sven
  • Sven's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Sven on topic Time lapse problems MS Platinum 12

Posted 07 Dec 2015 06:23 #6
Problem solved and I'm extremely relieved. Due to the strange way my action cam a Sj4000, a Go pro type, numbers the image files it was that that was causing all the hassle. I tried the method mentioned by Mr Grunthunter but with no success. Then tried Derek's suggestion of renumbering the files using Bulk Rename Utility and Voila!
Movie Studio 12 which I'm using is now my friend :)
Thanks to all with the various suggestions
Sven
by Sven
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 07 Dec 2015 12:21 #7
I'm glad you worked it all out :woohoo:

Posted 08 Dec 2015 01:53 #8
Sven,
Not sure how you approached renaming your files but these are the steps you should have taken (btw, I'm working on a PC)
1.) Select the first file in your series of files to rename
2.) Hold down you SHIFT key and select the last file in the series of files to rename. This will select ALL of the files within the series you want to rename. If you want ALL of the files on that drive, card or in that folder you can just press down CTRL + A and that will select everything
3.) Now place your cursor on the first file in the group
4.) Right click and select RENAME
5.) Rename the file and hit ENTER (you don't need to rename the file extension, just the file name). All of the files in the series you selected will be renamed to the same name and have a sequential number after the file name.
filename (1).ext , filename (2).ext , filename (3).ext etc. etc. etc.

GTX-1070

Posted 26 Dec 2015 14:35 #9

DoctorZen wrote: Hi Sven

If you can't reset your camera to output a normal number system, I think your solution would be to re-name all your images into a different sequential number series first. Something like IMG00001, IMG0002, IMG0003,........

You may be able to do this with software like this:
download.cnet.com/Bulk-Rename-Utility/3000-2248_4-10174242.html

Regards
Derek.

Derek, What would be the difference between using the 'Bulk-Rename-Utility' software you suggested above from just selecting all the files you want to rename and then right clicking and selecting 'rename'?
Curiously I seem to be having some issues with my sequence of photos taken with my GoPro in creating a time lapse of my wife setting up out Christmas decorations. Ont thing I did was go through the photos and delete the ones where she had her face stuck in the camera trying to read the menu screen. When I opened up my Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum to import a sequence of photos where I had deleted one or two I got an error message and I suspect that may be because it saw that those files were missing and I didn't have a 'clean' sequence of file names. I continued anyway but when I got the sequence of files into SMS I could only see the first photo in the preview window even though all of the other photos showed up on the time line. If I tried to preview them all I get is a black preview window.
I then went back and tried my way of renaming them to "TL_Clip_1" which then gave me a sequence of TL_Clip_1 (1) thru TL_Clip_1 (356) which appeared to be fine until I tried to import them into SMS again and it wouldn't let me load them as a series of photos but I can bring them in as a 'Slide Show' but I'm trying to create a time lapse series. I'm getting a little confused here. Am I doing something wrong?

Should I maybe try and go back and 'undo' the deletion of the unwanted photos and then import everything and then delete the unwanted photos in the SMS Time Line?

GTX-1070
Last Edit:26 Dec 2015 14:38 by MrGrunthunter

Posted 26 Dec 2015 16:53 #10
The simple solution to your problem, is to import ALL of the original images from the GoPro as a time-lapse first, directly off the SD card.
So start again with a new project and the original files.
Once you have a time-lapse video on the Movie Studio timeline, then you can trim/delete the unwanted frames.

For a time-lapse import to work properly, all the images must be from the same session and be sequentially numbered from 1 to infinity. You can't have gaps anywhere in the still image stream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.140 seconds