VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Clarification of mixed video formats in the same project

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

Clarification of mixed video formats in the same project was created by Peter

Posted 13 Jan 2016 13:30 #1
Hi Derek,
I realise topics have been discussed previously and have read up but still not totally clear on the best work procedure.

Have two video clips - different formats. Eventually requiring to render final output to Blu-ray disc.

Is it correct (better) to just place them both as are on a time line in MS11 - edit as required leaving the original formats intact and then output to DVD Architect and render to the Blu-ray format chosen,
OR
Render clip 1 to MPEG-2 (AVC) i.e. to match clip 2 (using AVC free), then place it (clip 1) on the time line in MS11 with clip 2, edit project as required and finally output the project to DVD Architect for final rendering to the Blu-ray format as required?
Details re Clip 1 and 2:
Clip 1
Name: Send away - retrieve in snow..MOV
Folder: C:\Users\Peter\Videos\Edited sendaways
Type: AVC
Size: 126.77 MB (129,815,880 bytes)
Streams
Video: 00:01:37.733, 30.000 fps progressive, 640x480x12, AVC
Clip 2
Name: 09-27-2015_184508.m2ts
Folder: C:\Users\Peter\Videos \Gaia - Working Trials training videos\ Sendaway
Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream
Size: 578.20 MB (592,078,848 bytes)
Streams
Video: 00:03:07.688, 59.940 fps progressive, 1920x1080x12, AVC

Once the above has been clarified in my head - the basic protocol for further projects will then be clear
Regards,

Peter
by Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Clarification of mixed video formats in the same project

Posted 13 Jan 2016 16:44 #2
Hi Peter

I don't think there is any need to convert before you import your videos, unless you have problems.
If you did want to convert your videos, it would probably be better to use a lossless format like Avid DNxHD or Cineform.
Some one asked a similar question the other day and here is my answer.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/general-discussion/762-format-codec-questions-i-need-to-settle-before-diving-into-complex-project#3061

You do have an odd mix of video that is completely different to each other, and on top of that your output is going to be a 3rd different format for Blu-ray.
So it's a bit messy, which means I don't have a concrete answer for you.

It might be best to set your Project Properties to a 1920x1080-60i Blu-ray disc template, since this is what you will be rendering to.
OR
If the vast majority of your source video is 1920x1080-59.94p, it might be better to create a Blu-ray disc using 1280x720-60p settings.

Do some quick 5 minute experiments using different settings and mix the two videos together using different project settings, and then see what looks best.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

Replied by Peter on topic Clarification of mixed video formats in the same project

Posted 14 Jan 2016 09:10 #3
Hi Derek,
Thank you. I must be getting somewhere with the thought processes involved in deciding how to deal with rendering choices - your indications married with my suppositions. Great minds and all that!

So an evening of experimentation just to see how the variables pan out - will let you know the final route taken.

Regards,
Peter
by Peter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.818 seconds