VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Rendering 60p in MS 12 Platinum

Rendering 60p in MS 12 Platinum was created by northwood

Posted 14 Jun 2016 03:43 #1
HI Derek and all other MovieStudio people!

I watched the tutorial video on how to render 60p video (it appears to be made with MS13 as the version), not sure if the same applies in 12.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/544-how-to-render-50p-video-vegas-pro

Here's my scenario:

I have a lovely video shot at 1080 60p on my iPhone6s Plus. Super smooth playback of the raw file, delicious even! But if I take it into Movie Studio 12, and render it back out (same method as in the tutorial), its not quite as silky smooth, in fact, its almost "herky jerky" :( All I did was to overlay a quick title at the beginning, no other processing. (I mirrored the exact steps Derek took in his video except for the frame rate)

I noted that the frame rate was different than what Derek determined in his tutorial, it actually shows 60.665, so this is what I chose to render out as with my custom template. I also turned off the evil re-sampling :evil: switch before attempting the render. I even increased the bit rate, but nothing seems to have given me back the original smoothness.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers to all, Robin
Last Edit:14 Jun 2016 03:55 by northwood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Peter on topic Rendering 60p in MS 12 Platinum

Posted 14 Jun 2016 12:03 #2
Hi Robin,
A frame rate of 60.665 is new to me - will be curious to read if any other has come across this.
Have you tried rendering out without the overlay?
If that allows a suitable play back quality then it may indicate that the problem lies with the overlay.

Did the actual render generate an actual new file with the same frame rate as the original material?
Any change in rate is likely to cause image problems.

Regards,

Peter
by Peter

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering 60p in MS 12 Platinum

Posted 14 Jun 2016 12:23 #3
Hi Robin

Video out of iPhone's has always been problematic because of the bizarre frame rates they produce.
They use variable frame rate, which is something you really should never do with normal video.
Every Video Editing program on earth uses fixed frame rates, otherwise you end up with choppy playback and audio sync issues.
When you import the variable frame rate video into Movie Studio, the program has to try and average the variable frame rate into a normal frame rate.
This is typical of all Apple products, which work well on an Apple Mac computer, but have compatibility problems in a Windows operating system.
Make sure you have Apple Quicktime installed on your computer and use version 7.7.6
I have a FAQ about this here: www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/525-install-older-version-apple-quicktime-movie-studio-vegas-pro

Here is a random example of someone on the Apple Forum discussing something similar.
discussions.apple.com/thread/3525008?start=0&tstart=0

Google "why is iphone video using weird frame rate" and you will see post after post about the same problem.
I do not own an iPhone, so I don't have any sample footage to experiment with.

I think you will have to use a Video Conversion program and first import the iPhone video into that first, then convert into a stable frame rate like 60fps or 30fps.

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific.
The problem is not with Movie Studio.
I suggest you search some Apple forums and see how other people are dealing with this common problem.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:14 Jun 2016 12:24 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: northwood

Replied by northwood on topic Rendering 60p in MS 12 Platinum

Posted 15 Jun 2016 00:14 #4
Thanks Derek, I do also have FC Pro on my Mac, so I can stick to editing from that source over on the "other side". I prefer Movie Studio, the workflow is easier and more linear.

I am not a big Apple fan, but the video output from this device is really sweet. Too bad.

Will pursue this topic over in Apple land.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering 60p in MS 12 Platinum

Posted 15 Jun 2016 00:51 #5
Thanks for the report back.
If you find any good information that may help other people, please post links back into this forum thread.

All the best :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 15 Jun 2016 02:35 #6
So after some tinkering and searching in Final CutPro X I got stability with 59.94 FPS, so I am now going to try that in MS12. Fingers crossed!
Last Edit:15 Jun 2016 02:37 by northwood
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 15 Jun 2016 03:48 #7
So at 59.94 its almost smooth, but still not like the original. Sadly, my iPhone processing will have to remain in FC Pro. :( :angry: :(

I did however find this cool link to share.... frames-per-second.appspot.com/
Last Edit:15 Jun 2016 03:51 by northwood

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Rendering 60p in MS 12 Platinum

Posted 15 Jun 2016 05:17 #8
HI Robin,

If FC Pro will render out your iPhone videos to a constant frame rate with the smooth results you like, you could use FC Pro to convert your files to an intermediate format, then bring those into Movie Studio to do your editing and final render. You should be able to render/export from FC Pro in either ProRes or DNxHD, 59.940 Progressive. Either of these will be in a .mov container. Either should work well in Movie Studio, provided you have Quicktime player installed (best version is 7.7.6) and don't put too many clips on the timeline at once (say 50 or more).

Just an alternative thought.....
Best Regards......George

Posted 15 Jun 2016 05:45 #9
thanks George, interesting idea. Will give that a go.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.903 seconds