VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved MAGIX Acquisition of Sony Creative Software Offerings

MAGIX Acquisition of Sony Creative Software Offerings was created by sublimezero

Posted 15 Jun 2016 01:25 #1
Hi Derek et al.

I am a newbie to MSZ, but have been following Derek on YouTube for years. I am still a complete amateur, however, I have basically learnt all I know about editing and Movie Studio from Derek, so firstly - a massive thank you is required

Basically, I have just read about MAGIX apparent acquisition of Sony Creative Software Offerings (article below)

www.videomaker.com/videonews/2016/05/magix-acquires-sonys-vegas-pro-plus-majority-of-sony-creative-software-offerings

Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed etc...but, I am keen to ascertain an understanding of what Derek and others feel this means. i.e. will MAGIX continue creating and releasing future version for MS, or will they combine and imbedded it within their own existing solution (which I have little or no knowledge of) And/or whether Sony's Catalyst Edit will actually become the new version of Movie Studio ?

It's just as a complete novice that only really feels comfortable with Movie Studio ( BTW I run Movie Studio Platinum 12 suite)

Any guidance and or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic MAGIX Acquisition of Sony Creative Software Offerings

Posted 15 Jun 2016 02:55 #2
Hi Rich and welcome to the MSZ Forum

Thank you for the positive feedback :cheer:

I know many people have a lot of questions about this topic. I posted an official message about the takeover here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/announcements/954-sony-creative-software-s-major-products-have-been-officially-sold-to-magix-software

There is also a more detailed thread started by vkmast, that has lots of great information:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/953-magix-software-has-acquired-sony-creative-software

I will be uploading an explanation video about the Magix takeover, in the next 24 hours.
All the signs are extremely positive. A team of people made up of ex-employees from Sony Software and Magix, will be continuing development of our favourite software. More to come...

Regards
Derek (Dr Zen)
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle Six on topic MAGIX Acquisition of Sony Creative Software Offerings

Posted 15 Jun 2016 03:16 #3
Hi Rich,

This is my take on it.....

Sony kept the Catalyst line as tools to match with their professional series and broadcast cameras.

Magix has already made numerous announcements pledging they will continue to develop Vegas Pro and Movie Studio products. These future developments may also include DVD Architect, Sound Forge and Acid. However most of the talk has been around Vegas Pro (which would also include Movie Studio). They plan a new Vegas Pro release version this autumn, and although they haven't included Movie Studio in the release, I would think that a new release of Movie Studio may lag several months after the Vegas release.

Magix has also pledged full support of all Sony customer whom have purchased the products sold to Magix. The talk has even included the Sony Forums, and although Magix hasn't announced specifically how they will integrate and/or manage the Sony Forums, they are intellectual properties they have purchased along with the product line.

I think, sooner or later, Magix may want to include features of Vegas into their Video Pro X product, and there may be some features in their Video Pro X product they can include in Vegas and Movie Studio. I don't think there will be a massive shift in look or feel. Doing so to either their Video Pro X customer or to Vegas/Movie Studio customers would most likely produce havoc with sales. I think they will keep everything separate, let the smoke of the sale settle down, provide some good features and fixes to Vegas/Movie Studio, and then go where the market and industry lead to profits.

Bottom line for me......I'm excited to see what Magix does with Vegas and Movie Studio and all indications at this point seem to point to a bright refreshing new future for Vegas Pro and Movie Studio.

Here is a link at MSZ that has information and links about the Magix purchase:
Magix Software Has Acquired Creative Software
Best Regards......George

Replied by sublimezero on topic MAGIX Acquisition of Sony Creative Software Offerings

Posted 15 Jun 2016 05:07 #4
Hi Derek

Thank you for the swift response and friendly welcome, it's much appreciated :)

Furthermore, thank you for your patience and pointing me towards your previously posted comments on this subject. Reading your comments and through the related threads has definitely been reassuring – thank you!

I will look forward to seeing your video on this topic, which should help gain an even better vibe of the situation. :)

Thanks again for your response and guidance in general.

Regards

Rich

Replied by sublimezero on topic MAGIX Acquisition of Sony Creative Software Offerings

Posted 15 Jun 2016 05:13 #5
Hi George

Thank you also for your detailed response, and for taking the time explain the situation, again, it's very much appreciated. And, as someone who doesn't use forums very much, it really nice to receive a warm welcome and informative response...even to a newbie newcomers question - so thank you!

What's more, both yours and Derek's positive comments and perspectives have definitely provided reassurance, which is exactly what I was hoping for! :)

Thanks again for your time

Regards

Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.768 seconds