VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Summary of Results from First Project with Vegas Pro 15

• Eagle Six
  • Eagle Six's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
  • Thank you received: 567

Summary of Results from First Project with Vegas Pro 15 was created by Eagle Six

Posted 05 Dec 2017 06:03 #1
I am near completion of the first project I used Vegas Pro 15 (build 216, Windows 7). Here are some of my observations, leaving many of the details out for now.

- Although I probably tried a few features of v15 not available in v13, as the current end results, I could have completed this project in v13 without strain, as I have v13 setup to utilize Avid DNxHD, Cineform, and Luts.
- I ran into some annoying screen freezes which at several points of the project had me seriously considering to dump v15 and start fresh in v13. The primary freeze occurred during random functions, such as loading a clip from the Project Media bin to a track, and would normally continue very often until I quit and reloaded v15. This freeze was released by 'Ctrl+Alt+Del', then selecting 'Cancel'. This became extremely annoying as sometimes every function I would select, which left track operations, it would freeze and require the 'Ctrl+Alt+Del / Cancel' fix. Also, sometimes these screen freezes would start very soon after loading V15, and it never took very long after loading v15 for them to start.
- I had more crashes with v15 than I have with v13. I wouldn't consider I have had a lot of crashes, other than even one is annoying and I had more than one. Perhaps 5-10 throughout the 50 hour project.
- I had more crashes at the end, when shutting down v15, than I have had with v13, perhaps a 10:1 ratio. These are the 'report screen' indicating v15 had a problem with the option of sending a report. This did not interfere with the project, just an observation.
- On at least two occasions I selected a v15 *.veg file from Explorer, and to my surprise v13 loaded and of course would not except the v15 veg project file.
- I noticed several references, using Explorer, in v15 files as to being v13 files!
- I noticed v15 to be more difficult during color correction than v13. I suppose this is me, as there should not be any changes in the color correction controls between the two versions. Again just an observation of perhaps my own inabilities.

I have a week hold on this project before I make the final edits, corrections and delivery render, so I thought I would post this during this break. I have not as yet had time to chase down any fixes to the issues I note above, but if anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears.
Best Regards......George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Summary of Results from First Project with Vegas Pro 15

Posted 05 Dec 2017 08:00 #2
I think the new build update may address some of the problems you experienced.
I have read a huge amount of threads on the official Vegas forums and many people have experienced a multitude of different problems, dues to the new Magix AVC Encoder. It also seems to have something to do with the actual type of video you are editing with. Some video formats are working 100% OK, but others are experiencing problems. I mainly use Sony XAVC video format in VP15 and have not experienced any problems.

**Update December 1, 2017**
Magix has released build version #261 for Vegas Pro 15
Release notes and download link available here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-update-2-build-261--109529/

Your problem with .veg file / program versions, may be explained with the new FAQ I wrote recently on this topic?
.veg file program associations are controlled by your Windows preference settings for file types.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/585-how-to-open-vf-veg-project-files-in-vegas
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Summary of Results from First Project with Vegas Pro 15

Posted 05 Dec 2017 10:13 #3
Thank You Derek,

After posting I was reading some other posts and seen where you posted about the 261 build. So I have installed it and will see in time if it corrects any issues, although there is nothing in the fix list that directly relates to the freezes, hopefully there will be an improvement. Also Thank You for the hint on the veg file opening only one related program. I very seldom open Vegas from a file relationship and that is probably why I was not aware of Windows only allowing one program as a default association, just never thought much about it, but it makes sense.

Interesting that I am still not getting notified about any updates. I check every several weeks, but it would be nice if the newsfeed worked. And I guess they did away with Net Notify. I also haven't received any emails from Magix in months.

I did render a few screen test intermediates early during the project and used the Magix AVC codec. I had a problem with certain sections where Mercalli plug-in (which I usually do not use) had an issue, but after chasing that issue for a while I switched back to Sony AVC codec for test files and used either the Mercalli 4 Stand Alone or ProDrenalin, because while chasing the problem, the problem would shift and I had indicators that the codec may also be an issue. I just haven't had the time to test out where the issue is coming from. This was another case of the work around was quicker than the solution and I needed to move on. I don't think my issue are the same as others have been experiencing. In a few weeks I should be able to go back and make sure I can repeat the problem, otherwise I wouldn't like to complain at this point.
Best Regards......George

Replied by vkmast on topic Summary of Results from First Project with Vegas Pro 15

Posted 05 Dec 2017 10:47 #4
(OT-ish) note to George: "Check for News..." does not work in VP 15 b 216 for (some of?) us either. And I stopped getting "Net Notified" after upgrading to the latest VMSP and VPro. This should be expected behavior, but I've seen reports to the contrary. Receiving emails seems still somewhat random.
Last Edit:12 Dec 2017 00:10 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Summary of Results from First Project with Vegas Pro 15

Posted 14 Dec 2017 05:20 #5
UPDATE: Installing build 261 did not cure any ill's I have encountered with VP15.
Best Regards......George

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.949 seconds