VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Generating a subtitle track

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Generating a subtitle track

Posted 16 Feb 2019 14:39 #11
All the questions you are asking now, are the exact same questions I asked myself 2 years ago.
Long story short, when I create subtitles, I do all the work myself.
The main reasons why I do everything myself is because:
1. I don't have the budget to use a subtitle creation service
2. If the speech in your videos is spoken too fast, subtitle services may make mistakes that need fixing in Subtitle Edit.
3. If the speaker in your videos is using a strong local accent and is not speaking the native language clearly, subtitle services may make mistakes that need fixing.
4. If the words been spoken are technical terms that are not commonly heard/used, subtitles services may make mistakes that need fixing.

I tried many different workflows to speed up the process, but every time I tried a "shortcut", it ended up taking longer!

Now in order to get the captions, is it necessary to listen to the audio, type the words into the program and set the timing?

Yes, if you are prepared to do all the work in creating your subtitles.

Or is there a way to get the audio transcribed into words without this typing and import them with codes automatically generated? and then save them as an srt file?

There are a lot of companies that offer subtitle creation services now. I do not have any I can recommend, but you get what you pay for.
You can use this type of service, but will probably have to check and fix some mistakes as well.
Transcription services will supply you with an .srt file.

One step at a time...
For today, just concentrate on the video you are working on now.
If you open Vegas and your project, you can open each Text Event you have already created and then Copy & Paste this text into Subtitle Edit.
Use the shortcuts in Subtitle Edit and use the Audio Waveform to see speech.
Use the SPACEBAR to play/pause playback.
You can drag the length of each subtitle to fit perfectly.
If you open the settings, you will find a LARGE amount of shortcuts to help with the creation of your text.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by pauldr44 on topic Generating a subtitle track

Posted 16 Feb 2019 14:53 #12
Well, that really cleared things up for me. Thank you! Basically, it is best to do the work myself. I am ok with that. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some easy way out of it. And once again, the easy way out is an illusion. I do have one small question about directly inputting the captions into DVDA. Once I completed that, I had a good DVD caption track. But is there a way to save that track as a SCC of SRT file for use in other forms of that video? I suspect not, but I need to ask.

Posted 16 Feb 2019 15:20 #13

But is there a way to save that track as a SCC of SRT file for use in other forms of that video?

Yes you can export a subtitle file from DVD Architect !!!

Right-click the Subtitle control box in DVD Architect and select Export Subtitles.
This will create a .sub file which you can import into Subtitle Edit.

Open the .sub file in Subtitle Edit
Open your video
Create waveform
Now you can adjust the timings/length of each subtitle if needed and/or edit text, then export a new subtitle file.

If you want to Import your new subtitle file back into DVD Architect, save subtitles from Subtitle Edit as a .sub file.
In Subtitle Edit, change the Format = DVDSubtitle (.sub)

Make sure to use the function File/Save As
I recommend saving different file name versions of your subtitles as you work, then if something goes wrong you can open an older version and continue working.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Feb 2019 15:30 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Posted 17 Feb 2019 01:35 #14
One key lesson I have learned is that in DVDA, you cannot leave any blank spots. If you want to have no text in a portion of the video, you have to create a subtitle event with no text. I had to go back into DVDA to insert a blank event at the beginning in order to allow the subtitles to start 8 seconds into the video and allow time for the musical intro. Then I went through and adjusted the subtitles with Subtitle Edit as you outlined. When I was done, I set the format to DVDSubtitle(.sub). saved and exported it. Then I want to export it for Youtube. So I picked Subrip (.srt) format and saved it. Then went to export and a long list of choices opened up. Which one is best? Is VobSub (sub/idx) the one? Once I have the correct file format, I will insert the subtitle file into Vegas Pro 16 and render the video for uploading to YouTube. Does this sound right?

Posted 17 Feb 2019 02:00 #15

One key lesson I have learned is that in DVDA, you cannot leave any blank spots. If you want to have no text in a portion of the video, you have to create a subtitle event with no text. I had to go back into DVDA to insert a blank event at the beginning in order to allow the subtitles to start 8 seconds into the video and allow time for the musical intro.

All subtitles for every video ever made, must start at 0:00 - this is not unique to DVD Architect!
You can enter a timing with no text.

Then I want to export it for Youtube. So I picked Subrip (.srt) format and saved it. Then went to export and a long list of choices opened up.

This is why I said to save different versions of your Subtitle projects.
When exporting for YouTube, set Format in Subtitle Edit back to SubRip (.srt) - it's at the top of the list !

Once I have the correct file format, I will insert the subtitle file into Vegas Pro 16 and render the video for uploading to YouTube. Does this sound right?

No !
You DO NOT render subtitle files with videos.
After uploading your video to YouTube, then you upload your .srt file in the YouTube video control panel.
Last Edit:17 Feb 2019 02:01 by DoctorZen

Posted 17 Feb 2019 02:31 #16
Thank you again for helping me find my way through subtitle creating. You have saved me from making one mistake after another. I hope you make the Subtitle Edit tutorial real soon. Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.889 seconds