VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Audio going out of sync in Vegas Pro 14

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Audio going out of sync in Vegas Pro 14

Posted 31 Mar 2019 16:26 #11
Just going to add my 2 cents worth...
I do Audio/Video Syncing in most of my tutorials where I talk to the camera.
For the last couple of years I have been using a Zoom H6 and it works beautifully every time!
The Zoom has a large amount of settings, so you can record to many different audio formats and quality settings.

I normally record video with a Sony A7s and audio with the Zoom H6. Sometimes I have added a GoPro as well.
Whether I'm using a Sony camera and/or GoPro camera with the Zoom H6, I have never had my audio drift out of sync, once it has been Grouped together in Vegas.
I also know a few folks who use Tascam audio recorders - they are also very good quality machines.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lumibb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lumibb
  • Lumibb's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Lumibb on topic Audio going out of sync in Vegas Pro 14

Posted 02 Apr 2019 11:25 #12
Unfortunately, the Zoom H6 is a little too rich for me at the moment, especially with everything else draining my spare finances! I do have a Tascam DR-05 but like I said, it doesn't record intercom audio very well and seems that the YouTubers that use it record via a lapel mic in the earcup. Not really keen on doing that as one guy said it does get sweaty after a while! That's why I've bought the Sony ICD-PX470 as it can record intercom audio, but here I am with sycn issues.

I've not done the sync clap test yet as the game room is currently under renovation :(
by Lumibb

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Audio going out of sync in Vegas Pro 14

Posted 03 Apr 2019 03:09 #13
Hi Lumibb,

Just some more thoughts to add to the confusion!

If you find you want to replace the Sony ICD-PX470 and Tascam DR-05 with a Zoom, you might want to consider the Zoom H1. It's about $100 USD new, or in around $70 refurbished. It has wav 24 bit 48 MHz recording with a line/mic in and auto or manual gain adjustments, and is Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) compliant. It should be superior to the Sony ICD-PX470, and compatible with the Tascam DR-05. It will also provide better audio than most camera built-in audio for normal video making.

Whether you use a Zoom H1 or your Tascam DR-05 you might want to get a 25dB Attenuation cable, or similar, to make a better match between the headset and line in to cleanup the noise.

If you want to try the direct audio in to the GoPro Hero 6/7, the cables can be easily secured to prevent them from floating around. To secure cables I started off using good old duck tape. Duck tape holds well, is easy to apply, disposable, found anywhere, but leaves a glue residue. I then went to using gaffers tape. It doesn't leave any residue, is easy to apply, disposable, a bit more pricey, found online or at photo/video shops, but doesn't hold as well as duck tape. Although I still use gaffers tape for on location shooting, I have switched to Gorilla tape. Found just about anywhere, it hold like duck tape or better, normally doesn't leave glue residue, is disposable, and the price is just a bit higher than duck tape. I have used duck/Gorilla tape to hold cables during spins, stalls, rolls, loops and inverted flight. On motorcycles we secure audio cables on the exterior of bikes with duck/Gorilla tape which hold and sustain winds speeds of over 180 mph.

I'm sure you already have, but if not, I would encourage you to visit the AOPA, EAA, and IAC forums and do a search for recommendations on audio/video recording. You may find pilots that are using your exact gear and how they make it successful. You will also find, as usual because it is the internet, conflicting opinions, but within them there may be some hidden gems.

And again, I wouldn't do anything like above (other than perhaps research), until I had completed the sync test to confirm if the Sony will not stay in sync.
Best Regards......George

Replied by keeper_1988 on topic Audio going out of sync in Vegas Pro 14

Posted 29 Mar 2020 12:55 #14
Hello, I'm new here and sorry for revive this old topic, maybe someone can find this bit of data useful.

I have the Sony PX470, I intended to use it as a cheap replacement while I get a better recorder for film purposes and to record my band gigs and rehearsals. Well, a few days ago I tried to record a full rehearsal session using the recorder and a Sony Handycam, the CX330, for the video, then syncing the audio on Premiere or Vegas. Well, I got home copied the files on my workstation, imported them to Premiere, sync in the timeline and export. It is very easy following the drummer´s mark on the beginning of the first song, so, I synced that on the time line, deleted the audio from the camera and exported the full session. I played the full session then on my laptop and the first 6 minutes were good, clear audio and everything fine, but after 8 minutes the things went south. The audio was not in sync with the video, a thing of the export settings, I thought, but, when I compared the audio from the camera and the audio from the recorder I found that the one coming from the recorder was slower, not noticeable at first but after 2 hours of continuous recording it was definitely slower. Well, I performed a quick test with a metronome at 120bpm over a 10 minutes session with both Handycam and recorder. Attached you will see the beginning of the session and what happened after 10 minutes. There is obviously latency between both sources and after a long period is even more noticeable. What I need to do now is buy a new recorder and avoid using the PX470. For only audio things it is perfect but using it to sync with video is a waste of time and money. Going to buy a Zoom.
Last Edit:29 Mar 2020 20:14 by keeper_1988
Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.965 seconds