VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Snapping

• Michel
  • Michel's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 32

Snapping was created by Michel

Posted 14 Apr 2020 07:20 #1
Hi,

I attached a capture screen of what I'm trying to resolve. As you can see I have two photos on two different and distant timelines. Now I use many fades in/out in my projects on many timelines. So let's say I want to snap on the photo on the upper timeline to the inner edge of the fade situated a few timelines down, I must do that manually by eyeing both the upper and lower fades so that they fit. I tried different alternatives with the snapping tool to no avail. It will snap on both edges of the media but not in the inner edges of both fades.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to explain it's not that obvious...thank you.

Michel

Last Edit:23 Apr 2020 15:32 by Michel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Snapping

Posted 15 Apr 2020 17:22 #2
Describing things with words can be difficult to communicate functions on the Vegas timeline.

Snapping works OK for me in Vegas Pro 16.
1. Make sure Snapping is turned ON.
2. Make sure Auto-Ripple is turned OFF - if this is turned ON, it can cause strange behaviour on other tracks, depending on which of the 3 settings it is set to.
3. Look at my screen shot. If I drag from 1 to 2, the fade will snap to the beginning of video #2 below.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by Michel on topic Snapping

Posted 15 Apr 2020 21:42 #3
Hi Derek,

It seems like you understand my meaning but I cannot achieve what you are showing. Naturally all the snapping options are ON, the snapping button is ON and the Ripple button is OFF. The same as in your explanation. I made a small 130 mb. clip with my cell. phone explaining what I mean and what the result is.
I cannot attach it here because the size you accept is much smaller that my clip. I propose to send it on your personal mail, but I prefer getting you OK for that.

If you do permit this attachment you will also see the space I have on my preview screen on each side of the media. I can't get rid of that?

Thanks Derek

Michel
by Michel

Posted 16 Apr 2020 16:53 #4
Hi Michel

I don't allow videos to be uploaded to the forum, due to the file size restrictions with my web hosting company.

However,
1. you can upload your video to YouTube and set it as Unlisted, then share the link to video here - only someone with the link can view
2. use a file sharing service like Google Drive - if you have a Google account, you automatically have a Google Drive account!

I personally use Google Drive
drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

1. Right-click My Drive if you would like to create a custom folder.
2. Right-click inside new folder and select Upload Files.
3. After upload is complete, right-click video and select Get Shareable Link - you will need to change "slider" to allow the Sharing of files.
4. Now reply on the forum here and Paste link to video

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Apr 2020 16:54 by DoctorZen

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 16 Apr 2020 17:21 #5
Hi Derek,

Seems like you accept a file sharing of my .veg files. I use Sync.com file sharing service. It's a canadian company who's reputation is mostly based on encryption (see Youtube for review). Privacy is important for me. It's now 3:05 a.m., if I can't sleep I'll send you the files (1 .jpg & 1 .veg file). I know I've been bombarding the Zen site with a lot of questions recently. The Covid pandemic has kept me busy every day for the last month with many video projects.

When you read my next topic ''anomaly'' you'll understand what I mean. I do hope that when these issues are cleared, you won't read me alot after...I hope!

As always thanks for your help Derek

Michel
by Michel

Posted 16 Apr 2020 17:37 #6

Seems like you accept a file sharing of my .veg files.

The MSZ Forum attachment manager will accept most image formats (jpg,jpeg,gif,png) and file types (txt,rtf,pdf,zip,tar.gz,tgz,tar.bz2,veg,vf,dar,xml,gif,docx,mp3,ogg,fon,otf).
The only thing you cannot upload to the forum are video files.
There is a file size limit of 3 MBs per upload/file.

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 16 Apr 2020 17:39 #7
HI Derek,

Sent you a link to my Cloud a few moments ago. What is it OK me using the same type of Cloud as Google drive since , I presume, that is wasn't going on your Zen site? If you do need those files on your Google drive I'll get them there with pleasure.

Have a nice one.

Michel
Last Edit:17 Apr 2020 08:26 by Michel

Posted 17 Apr 2020 18:43 #8
I don't know what is causing your problem with the Snapping function
If I replicate exactly what you showed in the video you made, it is works 100% OK from both the left and right.

If you would like me to investigate this further, I need a complete copy of your Vegas Pro .veg project file and a copy of all the images and videos that make up your project. The only way I can help you, is to open an identical copy of your project on my computer.

I can only guess that something else you have placed on a different track is causing the problem.

The way I would diagnose this on my own computer, is to first create a new test project.
Then add just 2x images on different tracks to the Vegas timeline.
Can you create fades that snap in this test project ?
If it works in the test project, you will then know that there is a problem in the actual project.

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 17 Apr 2020 20:59 #9
Hi Derek,

Appreciate this Derek because I'm trying to find another way to snap my media. It's a matter of getting used to it but if you can resolve this issue it would be great. If I understand correctly you want a full project on which I'm working or just finished, right? I presume that's what you want and I'll send it.

You are asking if I can create snaps in the Test file? Never, if they're on different timelines like in the file I sent yesterday. Naturally if they're on the same timeline I then cross fade the medias. This will rarely happen because each type of media is placed on different timelines. The file I'm sending you has many pictures and many clips positioned on different timelines. So I had to eye the fades as in yesterday's file.

Hope this is what you want Derek. Please come back to me if you need more.

Michel
by Michel

Posted 18 Apr 2020 19:14 #10
.veg files contain no media files like audio, video and image.
The new download you sent me was only the .veg file, which means I could not open all of your project, however I can see where everything is and all your settings.
I don't need your files now, so don't worry about trying to send them.

Snapping is working 100% OK in your project on my computer.
I made a quick video that shows you how it is working on my computer.
I have no idea why it is not working, as it should, on your computer.

I have three suggestions:
1. Reset Vegas Pro
Instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

2. Make sure you have the final build version for Vegas Pro 16 installed.
Go to Help/About in Vegas to find build version.
If you don't have build #424 installed, download from here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/609-vegas-pro-16-update-history

3. If none of the above helps, I recommend you post your problem on the official Vegas Pro forums and see if someone knows something.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-pro-forum/
Last Edit:18 Apr 2020 19:16 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.842 seconds