VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Tracking Option missing on Bézier Masking in Vegas Pro 18

What am I doing wrong?   I'm following one of the Online Tutorials and I'm just not seeing the "Tracking" option on the VEGAS Bézier Masking FX under any of the Masks:

I'm using VEGAS Pro 18.0

Last Edit:02 Jul 2021 11:44 by SilverHawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Tracking Option missing on Bézier Masking in Vegas Pro 18

Posted 23 May 2021 13:31 #2
Hi SilverHawk
Welcome to the club of confusion 
I experienced the exact same WTF moment as yourself and it took me hours to work out what was going on !!!

They have changed everything about how Motion Tracking works, when they released Vegas Pro 18.

There is now a dedicated tool called Motion Tracking and it is accessed by going to Tools/Video/Motion Tracking.
The Motion Tracking app does all the tracking and creates your key-frames.
You then send the tracking data (key-frames) to whichever Video FX plugin you want to apply it to.
I recommend reading this: Go to Help/Contents & Index - Index tab - Motion Tracking
Unfortunately the Help file still has the old data for Vegas Pro 17 and not VP18 about the Bézier Masking tool - which is creating even more confusion, myself included !

Here is a quick scenario for how to add Motion Tracked Text in Vegas Pro 18.
1. Import video you want to track
2. Add Text event (above video)and resize text - you don't have to position it just yet
3. Also press Match Event Length inside of Text window (top right corner next to cog) - this will make sure text event and video are set to exact same length of time
4. Select video you want to track

5. Go to Tools/Video/Motion Tracking
6. Select Add Region

7. Position mask over object and make mask bigger/smaller to cover object

8. Set mode for a simple track to Location
9. BEFORE you begin, make sure Video Track is selected and timeline cursor is at the beginning of event to be tracked, otherwise it will think you are trying to track a different video track!
10. Select which way you want to track the object - Track Forward would be the most logical choice for basic tracking.
11. Tracking will then begin !

12. After tracking is completed, make sure timeline cursor is at beginning of Tracking Event.
Open the Text window and drag/position Text in Preview Windows to sit at the beginning of event.

13. Now you need to tell where you want the tracking data sent.
There are 2 options: You can drag data or manually select where you want data sent - I prefer manual method.
In my scenario, I selected the Text Event and Location - this then sends key-frames to Text window.

At the end of my screen shots, I have added a YouTube video that was made with Vegas Pro 17, using the old system.
I haven't sat down and worked out how to do the same thing in Vegas Pro 18 yet, however now that I have explained the basics, you should be able to adapt to the new system.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:23 May 2021 13:48 by DoctorZen

Replied by SilverHawk on topic Tracking Option missing on Bézier Masking in Vegas Pro 18

Posted 23 May 2021 19:10 #3
Many thanks...just what I was looking for...even better, it all worked a treat.

The only minor thing I couldn't get to work was the "3. Also press Match Event Length inside of Text window (top right corner next to cog)".  I was expecting it to adjust the length of the text event on the timeline to same as the video event, but it certainly didn't do that, so I just dragged it by hand.

BTW: following on from this: www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/1681-my-video-is-being-kinda-pixelated-after-render#14451

I decided to bite the bullet and spend some money on Vegas Pro as the pain of rendering to AVI and then using Handbrake was too much to bear.  So I'm now using Pro with the Voukoder plug-in and I'm very happy with the quality of the rendered videos.  Money well spent and not too much as it was an upgrade from Movie Studio.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.768 seconds