VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Problem with the legacy stabilize effect in Vegas Pro 19.0

I am having a strange problem when using the legacy stabilize video effect in Vegas Pro Edit, v19.0. The effect has always worked very well for me, and I have come to prefer it over the newer stabilizers, so I am glad it's still available.
I've been using this same effect ever since my Movie Studio days, and am very familiar with how it works. When I apply the 'media' effect to a sub-clip of an event in Vegas, the effect responds the same as it did in Movie Studio. That is: after the effect is added,  and the 'apply' button is pushed, the stabilizing effect is seen clearly when the clip is previewed. And, with any subsequent preview of that clip. So far so good.
The problem is that the sub-clip in question does not retain the applied effect, after I've closed and re-opened the project! The effect still shows as having been added to the clip, but it does not show any stabilization whatsoever when the clip is previewed! In fact, the clip in question seems even 'shakier' than it was before, as if the stabilizing effect has been 'scrambled' somehow. And if I delete the effect - without deleting the sub-clip - and re-apply the effect, everything is back to normal. Except it disappears again after I leave and reopen the project! VERY frustrating! Has anyone else seen this problem with the legacy stabilize effect in Vegas Pro 19.0 or 20.0?
I haven't found anyone else with this complaint, on this site or on the vegascreativesoftware forum. So I am guessing I might have a problem with my computer somehow. Because it seems as if the stabilization file that is created when the effect is applied is only retained as long as the project remains open; apparently that 'built file' somehow 'goes away', or cannot be accessed again, after the project is closed. That's all I can think of, by way of explanation. So I will experiment with my preview cache settings, and my 'temp files' location, etc, and report back if I come up with anything.
Thanks, The Old Wndsrfr

Last Edit:03 Jan 2023 17:06 by The Old Wndsrfr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Problem with the legacy stabilize effect in Vegas Pro 19.0

Posted 03 Jan 2023 17:36 #2
Hi The Old Wndsrfr

I'm very sorry for the lengthy delay, in responding to your message.
I have no one else to help me with the forum and had to take some time off due to health problems.

I just did a test in Vegas Pro 19, using the VEGAS Legacy Stabilizer.
I was able to apply the Stabilizer to a created Sub-Clip.
I then closed Vegas, re-opened the program and re-opened the saved project.
Sub-Clip was still showing the Stabilizer working.

Recently, I've had a few long time VEGAS Pro users report strange behaviour which has happened out of the blue.
The problems other users have reported, had nothing to do with the Legacy Stabilizer.
In the other cases of Vegas Pro not working properly, it was discovered that a bad Nvidia Graphics Driver was responsible for these "out of the blue" bugs.
Updating to the latest Nvidia Drivers solved those other problems.

Suggestions for fixing your problem
1. Do a full program reset for Vegas Pro. Sometimes this will fix out of the blue problems.
Reset instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/doctor-zen-faq/how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

PLEASE NOTE: After doing a full program reset, you will have to turn back on the Legacy Stabilizer in the VEGAS Preference Settings!

2. If resetting Vegas does not fix problem, try updating your graphics card drivers.
Do you use an Nvidia Graphics Card?
Even if you use a different graphics card, like AMD Radeon or Intel Integrated Graphics, check to see if there is a newer driver available.
Here is the download page for Nvidia Drivers:
www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
If you need help, let me know what model graphics card you have installed.
*If you don't play video games on your computer, I recommend installing Studio Drivers, which work better with video editing programs.
**I also recommend doing a clean install of the drivers.

I have instructions starting at STEP 4 in this other forum message, which can help you.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/general-discussion/3213-sony-vegas-crashing-when-clicking-render-as#15980

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Jan 2023 17:37 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Old Wndsrfr

Thanks Dr Zen, for your typically detailed response! I appreciate your assistance no matter when it arrives, and I hope you are feeling better.
Your tests confirm what I have suspected: that there is 'something wrong' with my particular situation. I am using a video setup which you have often suggested might not be optimal, meaning the Intel integrated graphics GPU, in my i7-12700. It works very well for me and my modest needs, but per your advice I will check for updates to the drivers. I still intend to eventually get a discrete Nvidia graphics card, which I know will improve my setup even more. And I will certainly let you know if the Vegas 'reset' you propose fixes this particular problem.
Another thought that occurs to me is concerning my OS, Windows 10, and several stupid 'security' rights issues it seems to cause, regarding the inability of various other (non-Vegas) programs on my PC to save files in a folder other than the one suggested by that program. It seems so unlikely to me that a stabilized sub-clip which is created by Vegas Pro during editing would just be 'lost' (mis-placed?) between re-boots of the program and/or PC. In general, have you ever experienced these kinds of Windows 10 security 'rights' issues, and do they ever impact Vegas directly? And do you still prefer Windows 10 over version 11?
Stay healthy, Derek, and thanks again for your help.
The Old Wndsrfr

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Problem with the legacy stabilize effect in Vegas Pro 19.0

Posted 19 Jan 2023 18:58 #4
I have been on Windows 11 for a long time now.
Initially I was hesitant to switch from Windows 10 to Windows 11, but when my old computer started acting up and I built a NEW computer, I decided to install Windows 11.
Since switching to Windows 11, I've never had a Folder/File Permissions problem with VEGAS Pro, ever again.
There are a few things about Windows 11 which drive me crazy, however the positives definitely outweigh the negatives - Windows 11 on a modern computer, is much more stable than W10.
I've also noticed that programs seem to open and close faster in W11.

Advice: If you are using an older computer with older hardware, I would recommend sticking with Windows 10.
Windows 11 requires latest hardware architectures to work properly.

In regards to the VEGAS Stabilizer, have you tried using the New Stabilizer ?

I don't use Stabilizers very often, but when I do, I prefer to use Mercalli Stabilizer.
I bought the full standalone version of Mercalli when it was on sale. Actually, I think I got it with an upgrade to a program I bought.
Normally MAGIX packages Mercalli with some of their program UPGRADES during each year.
www.prodad.com/Video-Stabilization-for-Professionals/Mercalli-V6-SAL-Windows-97864,l-us.html
With this version of Mercalli, you stabilize your video outside of VEGAS and render it to Apple ProRes (high quality video format), then import the stabilized video into your VEGAS project.

I was speaking to the makers of Mercalli a few weeks ago, and they said an App version of Mercalli that works inside of Vegas Pro, will be released in the next few months.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Old Wndsrfr

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.809 seconds