DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question White-ish hue when downloading/importing videos from Google Photos- Vegas Pro 20.0

I'm having an issue when I import select videos in Vegas Pro 20.0. They are not black and white but have a white-ish, almost foggy hue. Most of the videos I import are fine but it is the videos other people have taken on their phones and sent me that have this issue. I use Google Photos, download them onto my laptop and import them from there. They seem to already have this issue as soon as they are downloaded onto my laptop and even before I import them into Vegas.

Is there a way to fix it from the get go? Or if not, how can I fix it within Vegas? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Last Edit:24 Aug 2023 15:26 by mcmillankaleb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have never used Google Photos to store videos, so don't know how Google handles videos with this service.
You need to be careful with some online cloud storage, because if you download the wrong version, it could possibly be compressed.
Some cloud storage providers will create a smaller "preview" video file version, which will be compressed and could change the look of video.
You need to work only with the original video files.

I recommend you use Google Drive to share video files instead.

The other problem is that some peoples phones will be recording video using something called "Dolby Vision" HDR.
Dolby Vision HDR is only compatible with a version small number of devices/programs.
If you try to play Dolby Vision HDR video on non-supported devices, all the colours will get decoded incorrectly and look terrible.
I recommend that most people how use phones like this, turn OFF Dolby Vision HDR and just record normal video, for maximum compatibility.

I recommend using a free app called MediaInfo, to inspect your video files.
MediaInfo will tell you the precise video codecs and settings your videos are recorded with.
However, you need to try and get a copy of the original video files direct from other people's phones - to make sure it is not getting converted on it's journey to you.
OR
As I said previously, it maybe that the video is using an unsupported video codec.

I have a tutorial that will show you how to use MediaInfo, if you have never used it before here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/other-software/how-to-use-mediainfo-app

You can produce a report for one of these videos that doesn't look right, and upload the report to the forum, so I can inspect the file meta data.

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.759 seconds