VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved DVD Architect with menu question?

Replied by ericlnz on topic DVD Architect with menu question?

Posted 18 Oct 2017 21:34 #11

garrypreston wrote: on a DVD which plays on our wide screen TV without black stripes down each side which I'd call wide screen.

Yes but:
Does your TV automatically adjust between 4:3 and 16:9 depending on what the DVD file tells it. Some TVs do, some don't. My Sony does but my Panasonic doesn't.
How is your DVD player/TV set up. If its set up to play "full widescreen" it will stretch everything out to make it appear widescreen.

The easy question is do you have any DVDs that you know are 4:3 and do they automatically play with black bars down the sides?
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic DVD Architect with menu question?

Posted 18 Oct 2017 23:43 #12
I am in agreement with Eric, that what you think is widescreen is actually not widescreen, and that is why there is confusion.

There is an easy way to test this, now that I am confident of what is going on.
Start a new test project with Vegas Movie Studio.
Import one test video clip from the original DVD you are sourcing all your videos from.
As soon as you drag the video to the timeline, Vegas will ask "do you want to Match the Media Settings?"
It is very important that you say YES to this question.

Now you need to do two things for us.
1. Open the Project Properties window and take a screen shot showing the Video properties.
2. Also take a screen shot showing the Preview Window - so that we can see a sample frame from the video.
Upload both of these screen shots to the forum.

If you don't know how to create a screen shot, follow this tutorial here.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/welcome-to-msz/1541-how-to-take-a-screen-shot-of-your-desktop-and-upload-it-to-the-forum#7660
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic DVD Architect with menu question?

Posted 19 Oct 2017 09:46 #13
Taking us OT but relevant is an example of what can happen if settings aren't correct throughout.

A few years ago I had a DVD from a UK video club which contained 4:3 and 16:9. The 4:3 played squashed narrow like it was taken with a vertically held phone! I discovered the 4:3 vob files were actually 16:9 with the 4:3 image pillarboxed (black side bars) into 16:9. Somebody had exported them like this. Then the person compiling the DVD saw the 4:3 image, and not realising the black sides were part of the image and not empty screen space, set them as 4:3. The result was the image was squeezed in with double the amount of black side bars.
by ericlnz

Replied by garrypreston on topic DVD Architect with menu question?

Posted 19 Oct 2017 16:48 #14
Hi Derek & Eric, I do appreciate your help. We'll be away for twelve days ...taking video footage down the WA coast. I'll have to get back to this little project when I return home as today and tomorrow are packing days. We leave Karratha tomorrow night. I'll do what you have suggested above when I return home. Chat again in a fortnight. Gaz
Last Edit:06 Feb 2018 08:55 by garrypreston

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.871 seconds