DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Can MSP (Movie Studio Platinum) 12 do 4k?

Can MSP (Movie Studio Platinum) 12 do 4k? was created by peterh337

Posted 06 Jul 2016 20:11 #1
I see there are no predefined 4k render options, but maybe something can be created?

Can 4k be imported? If so, is it useful in this program given that 4k starts at about 100mbits/sec?

I could try it out - I have a Sony FDR-1000V but it won't record in 4k unless I get just the right kind of SD card...

I am much more interested in importing 4k than exporting, because 4k playback is very hard in hardware terms and plain silly for online hosting. My $50 Vimeo sub compresses everything to about 5mbits/sec. Even 1080P 50FPS is very visibly downgraded. So I tend to export to 1280x720.

The reason for using 4k is that after doing geometric lens correction one has to crop quite a bit.

And what about MSP 11? I have a second no longer used PC which runs winXP-32 and has MSP11. That could be used for long render jobs. It has a QX9650 which on a 32 bit system is only slightly behind an i7.

Many thanks for any input.
Last Edit:06 Jul 2016 20:13 by peterh337

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Can MSP (Movie Studio Platinum) 12 do 4k?

Posted 07 Jul 2016 00:14 #2
4K video is only supported in Movie Studio Platinum 13.

It is not supported in all previous versions.
4K will not import into older versions.

Version 13 has a special Proxy Video Creation tool included, which is needed to make 4K play back smoothly while you edit.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterh337

Replied by peterh337 on topic Can MSP (Movie Studio Platinum) 12 do 4k?

Posted 07 Jul 2016 00:18 #3
The funny thing is that I have only recently bought MSP12 - because I was told that MSP13 has a horrible new UI :) However I see MSP13 is still very cheap on Amazon - only GBP 60.

Posted 07 Jul 2016 00:33 #4
The other thing you may want to consider is that Magix (new owners of Sony Software), have said that Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14 will be released in February 2016. So if you can wait until then, go from V12 to V14.

If you have a lot of work planned with 4K, upgrade to V13 now.
Yes the User Interface is a bit silly on the surface, however once you dig down into the deep functions, it is still similar to v12 layout.

Alternatively, you could take advantage of the offer to get Vegas Pro 13 for $199 and get a free upgrade to Vegas Pro 14 in September.
A private email was sent to some people, however there is no requirement to prove you already own Vegas Pro or Movie Studio.
This is an amazing offer and will give you even more functionality for working with 4K video.
www.magix.com/index.php?id=22799&L=52&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=US_25_vcs_intro3&utm_content=vegas14
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 07 Jul 2016 00:54 #5
Interesting... I wonder what v14 will have which is of relevant to my work. I will need

- 4k in
- some stabilisation (my camera is not stabilised at 4k)
- 1080P 50fps 50mbits/sec out
- lens correction (currently have the $99 NewblueFX kit in MSP12)

The only other stuff which I have looked at doing in the past was

- rendering a hh:mm:ss counter in the corner of the image (that was easy but it needed a render to an intermediate video file) e.g. vimeo.com/47290448
- speeding up the video by up to 50x (MSP11 could not do more than 4x IIRC so I had to do it in several renders)
- have the speed-up increase linearly from 1x to 50x over say 10 seconds

You can see I want the time counter to be "incorporated" *before* the speed-up, for obvious reasons (so at 50x it runs 50x faster).

The other thing I wanted to do but never found an easy way was incorporating textual data within the image, as described here
www.euroga.org/forums/website/1413-a-movie-with-dynamic-subtitles
Would Pro 14 help with that? Obviously I need to get my data into something like a CSV file, but I know how to do that. It looks like there are various post-processing means e.g. using Handbrake to read an SRT file. But if it could all be done in Vegas that would be great.

Also, my CPU is a 6-core i7-970 but their spec says 8-core recommended. The i7-970 can run 12 threads...

Posted 07 Jul 2016 02:22 #6
I have no idea what new features will be added to new versions of Vegas Pro or Movie Studio, because I haven't personally received any correspondence from Magix. They have apparently sent emails out to a select group of people. Another forum member posted a copy of the emails here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/953-magix-software-has-acquired-sony-creative-software?start=20#4292

Both Vegas Pro 13 and Movie Studio Platinum 13 support 4K video and can output to the High Quality Sony XAVC codecs, which are designed specifically for 4K Output. These features would obviously be kept in new releases of both programs.

You are never going to see advanced stabilisation tools in Movie Studio. They may add this to Vegas Pro 14, but I doubt it.

The No.1 stabiliser which everyone agrees is the best, is ProDad Mercalli.
You can buy the stand alone version or a special version that integrates with Vegas Pro.
www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/mercalli_v4,l-us.html
www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/mercalli_v4_plug_in_sony_vegas,l-us.html

Make sure to subscribe to this website, because a couple of times each year, they do a massive discount on this software.
ProDad also does lens correction software.
If you use the Search function on forum and search "mercalli" or "lens correction", there are other threads where the guys have discussed how to use this.

If you want advanced speed control, you definitely need to get Vegas Pro.
Vegas Pro also allows you to "Nest" projects within projects.
Using this technique, you can can speeding up video without having to re-render over and over again.

That's about as much I can say for now. It's way, way past my bed time here in Australia. Next lifetime I will definitely be coming back as an Owl, if I'm not careful.

My gut feeling is that you should get Vegas Pro.
You have till end of month if you want to buy at super discount and then get V14 for free in a few months after that.
Last Edit:07 Jul 2016 02:22 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Replied by vkmast on topic Can MSP (Movie Studio Platinum) 12 do 4k?

Posted 07 Jul 2016 02:32 #7
+1 for DoctorZen's post # 3 (and # 6)above.

peterh337 wrote: Interesting... I wonder what v14 will have ---
---Would Pro 14 help with that?---

As said in another thread, post # 22 , currently we do not have any first-hand knowledge.
The only available info is in the MAGIX offer link, which the good Doc also gave you.
Last Edit:07 Jul 2016 02:52 by vkmast

Posted 07 Jul 2016 04:53 #8
I looked at the Mercalli website (having done so many times before) and for lens correction I can find only Prodrenalin
www.prodad.com/home/products/actioncam/300582316,l-us.html
which while very cheap at $49 is not a plug-in for Vegas AFAICT.

The Mercalli V4 Vegas plug-in
www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/mercalli_v4_plug_in_sony_vegas,l-us.html
does only stabilisation. It also costs $400.

Can Vegas Pro add a time counter *and* enable a section of the video to be speeded-up, with a ramp up and a ramp down, all in one render?

Posted 07 Jul 2016 11:33 #9
There is an FAQ on the ProDad website that explains differences between products here.
prodrenalin.com/which-product/

Because I have been sidetracked by other tasks, I am yet to experiment with all of ProDad's products. However I believe that if you want the best results, you will need to work outside of Vegas for certain functions and then import into your project for further work.

Last year when ProDad had a sale, I bought Mercalli V4 stand alone for $99.
Once you own this version, you qualify for upgrade pricing.
I could now upgrade to the integrated Vegas Pro version only $99.
I held back doing this at the time, because some people where experiencing crashes with this version, however I believe that problem has been fixed now.

Download the free trial for Vegas Pro.
In Video FX tab is Timecode - that's it for what you get in Vegas with regards to timecodes.

Vegas Pro includes the Velocity Envelope Tool, which allows you to very playback speed over time.
If show it it use in this tutorial, in section 3.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/511-how-to-slow-down-go-pro-video
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterh337

Posted 07 Jul 2016 16:26 #10
I've written to Mercalli about whether their lens correction comes with a FDR-1000V profile (not currently listed), otherwise I will have to use DEFISHR and create a custom profile.

Otherwise, until I move to 4k, I struggle to find a reason to go for Pro - except it supports ramped speed-ups.

Edit: What is the maximum speed-up which Pro can do in one step? Platinum can do 4x only.
Last Edit:08 Jul 2016 06:38 by peterh337

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.813 seconds