VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved A Windows 10 crash dilemma

• Morgan
  • Morgan's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 2

A Windows 10 crash dilemma was created by Morgan

Posted 01 Oct 2016 00:54 #1
My crash event is different from others I've read about here. While MSP13.0 is running, over time the screen will start to gradually degrade. The videos in the timeline will no longer show a picture, just white space where a frame image should appear. sometimes the timeline videos will show some other random stuff inside each frame, but not the frame from the video. Other graphic elements on the MSP screen will degrade in a similar fashion also. The program still functions as it should when it is in this condition, but if I don't Save and then close and reopen the program it will eventually crash. I've actually seen it degrade then crash when it is just running and not being used by me.

I'm running MSP 13.0 (Build 955 - 64bit) on a 64bit Windows 10 PC (1607) version. (It did this before the 1607 upgrade).
Processor: Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz
RAM: 16GB

Any suggestions on how I can stop this would be greatly appreciated.

Morgan
Last Edit:08 Oct 2016 16:14 by Morgan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic A Windows 10 crash dilemma

Posted 01 Oct 2016 01:20 #2
Hi Morgan

It maybe a problem generated by upgrade to Windows 10.
Did you only do the upgrade to Windows 10 or did you also perform a clean install of Windows 10 ?

I made some tutorials about this a few months ago. For many people, including myself, just upgrading to Windows 10 created a HUGE mess on the computer. Many advanced programs like Movie Studio and Vegas Pro stopped working properly altogether, due to too much crap left behind from Windows 7/8.1. The best and only solution to this problem is to perform a Clean Install of Windows 10. This will give you a clean slate and should guarantee all programs work better.

How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10

Another thing worth trying before this, is to reset Movie Studio, which will clean the temporary files cache and restore all settings.
Sometimes just doing this will fix weird problems.
Instructions here: www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

The only other thing I can think of, is a Graphics Driver problem. However, Windows 10 normally makes sure you have latest drivers installed.
You have plenty of RAM and your CPU is fast enough, so it is not a hardware problem.

I can't predict that a clean install will guarantee a 100% solution, but this the BEST thing I can offer. It definitely worked for myself and others.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:01 Oct 2016 01:20 by DoctorZen

• Morgan
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Morgan on topic A Windows 10 crash dilemma

Posted 01 Oct 2016 06:00 #3
Well, this computer came to me new with Windows 10 installed, so it is clearly a clean install. I did clean the files cache, but the problem still occurs. I'm going to try some other things. This is not a huge problem because I can see the crash coming and save/restart before it happens. If I find out anything I'll post it here. Thanks.
by Morgan

Posted 02 Oct 2016 00:22 #4
It almost sounds like a computer hardware problem then, if the same thing keeps happening after XXX period of time???
I have never had anyone else ever report such a problem.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Morgan
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Morgan on topic A Windows 10 crash dilemma

Posted 02 Oct 2016 03:05 #5
Well, maybe cleaning the files cache helped after all. I "turned everything off" last night and now MovieStudio is sitting idle and has not degraded at all in quite awhile. I also noticed during this that it did not degrade at all during a 30 minute rendering session yesterday. I was surprised by this. Task Manager showed the program was using 99% of CPU during the render, which I thought was a little strange. Is that normal? (Or is this a question for another thread?)
by Morgan

Posted 02 Oct 2016 03:33 #6
That is a good sign when CPU is being used at maximum capacity !
You're going to get the fastest render possible. This is normal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morgan

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds