VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

• 9190's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by 9190 on topic Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

Posted 02 Jan 2017 10:37 #11

DoctorZen wrote: There is a render setting that I also recommend is turned OFF.
Make sure Allow source to adjust frame rate is off.

Yes, I tried that:

9190 wrote: I tried both 29,970 (NTSC) and "Allow source to adjust frame rate" (i.e. 29,817) – final results were the same.

But I wasn't sure, how it's better to set. So, now I know it's better to OFF.
Last Edit:02 Jan 2017 10:40 by 9190

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

Posted 02 Jan 2017 10:51 #12
Yes, it's the phones variable framerate that's the problem. The value shown is its AVERAGE rate not a FIXED rate which is why it's a strange non standard value. Video editors work on fixed framearate, as do DVDs, Blu-ray discs and to my knowledge YouTube and Vimeo.

On the occasions I use phone footage I do what Derek recommends and convert to a fixed rate file. I use MS13 for this dragging my phone file into a blank project then exporting using XDCAMEX template matching my project. I then use the resulting mp4 file in my project instead of the phone file. Any quality loss is minimal and I cannot spot it. But if you have a lot of files to convert it's a slow method and you might be better off using Handbrake which can batch process.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: 9190

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 02 Jan 2017 11:57 #13
Thank you for replies. I have to try recommended converters first (not big deal for me, because I will have 1-2 short videos per week). Didn't know, that smartphones make videos with variable framerates, I wonder, why (who needs it?). Also was wondered, that iPhones are "worst of the worst" in that regard (being best of the best regarding video quality itself, they make. Just heard it in many reviews, so that's not my statement).

So, probably all this means, that I don't have to think to check another video editors, because that problem probably coming not from that program, but from smartphone's video, and there are high chances, that I will have similar problems in other video editors as well. I like Sony Movie Studio Platinum in many ways. For example, I can see audio waveforms during dragging the track, which makes manual audio sync easier and more transparent. Even Adobe Premiere Pro doesn't do that, showing only track's contour during dragging audio and video tracks. I like easy UI, and the fact, it's not so dark, as most video editors. I also don't like too light colors on monitors (until they emit light instead of reflect it), so Sony (Magix) gives good balance in that regard. I also like that Movie Studio Platinum / Vegas Pro show audio tracks in stereo mode, like Audacity or any DAW. Would like to hide some buttons on Track List, such as Track FX, Compositing Mode, Arm for Record, Make Compositing Child, Pan slider, Track Motion… – too much buttons there, which I will never need. But not a big problem. Upd: but there's Simple Editing Mode – probably that's for me.
Last Edit:02 Jan 2017 12:07 by 9190

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 02 Jan 2017 12:12 #14

9190 wrote: there's Simple Editing Mode – probably that's for me.

No, not for me. I can't adjust track's height in it. For me it's important: I need high audio tracks, and small video track. But in Simple Editing Mode all the contrary. And F11 doesn't work.
Last Edit:02 Jan 2017 12:14 by 9190

Replied by ericlnz on topic Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

Posted 02 Jan 2017 12:35 #15
And bear in mind that (to my knowledge) all video file exports have a fixed framerate that conforms to a standard. So whichever video editor you use you have a variable framerate coming in and fixed framerate going out.

So you can either leave the conversion to your final render stage, which will give the problem you've experienced, or pre-render to a new file with fixed framerate that you can accurately edit.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: 9190

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 02 Jan 2017 13:07 #16

DoctorZen wrote: Additional important information

There is a render setting that I also recommend is turned OFF.
Make sure Allow source to adjust frame rate is off.

Screenshot

And do you recommend to use this setting in any situations? I mean, even if my video camera had no any problems with unstable framerate etc., still worth to turn it OFF? I'm asking, because by default it is turned ON (I assumed that by default the program offers optimal settings).
by 9190

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

Posted 02 Jan 2017 13:23 #17

And do you recommend to use this setting in any situations?

Yes I always turn off the frame rate setting in Mainconcept encoder.
I have no idea why Sony defaults this to on.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 02 Jan 2017 23:52 #18

DoctorZen wrote: I have no idea why Sony defaults this to on.

It's like "Smart Resample" in Vegas Pro, which is activated by default, and many people recommend to turn it off to avoid ghosting, choosing "Disable Resample". I don't know, how about Movie Studio Platinum, I didn't find that setting there, thus I don't know whether it activated or not by default.
by 9190

Replied by vkmast on topic Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

Posted 03 Jan 2017 03:04 #19

9190 wrote: It's like "Smart Resample" in Vegas Pro, which is activated by default, and many people recommend to turn it off to avoid ghosting, choosing "Disable Resample". I don't know, how about Movie Studio Platinum, I didn't find that setting there, thus I don't know whether it activated or not by default

It's the same in MSP 13 in Advanced Edit mode. I'd forget Simple Edit mode altogether (see Event Properties there).
Last Edit:03 Jan 2017 03:07 by vkmast

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 03 Jan 2017 04:02 #20
In my case I don't have any choice: both "Smart Resample" and "Disable Resample" are inactive. I see this menu, when right-click on my video (on Timeline).
by 9190
Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.023 seconds