VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Playback display has side bars

• Pamela
  • Pamela's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 2

Playback display has side bars was created by Pamela

Posted 16 Jan 2017 08:09 #1
In my preview screen, all is fine and full. I render in 1920 x 1080. I play it back on my 1366 x 768 resolution screen and there are black bars on either side. I must downsize the playback on windows media player to eliminate the bars.

Is this an incurable issue with the screen on my laptop?
Last Edit:21 Jan 2017 23:30 by Pamela

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Playback display has side bars

Posted 16 Jan 2017 09:21 #2
Your laptop is using a 16:9 Aspect Ratio, which is the same as 1920 x 1080, so that is not your problem.

It sounds like you have rendered to a 4:3 template or have set your Project Properties incorrectly.

Open your Project Properties/Video window and take a screen shot - then upload to the forum so I can see your settings.
If you don't know how to take a screen shot, I have instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/169-how-to-turn-off-tangent-function-in-vegas-pro-12-masking#552

Also, which exact Render As (Make Movie) format and template did you render your video to ?
Example: Mainconcept AVC/AAC - Internet 1080p

p.s
I have moved your message into the Vegas Movie Studio forum, since I assume that is the program you are using ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Jan 2017 09:22 by DoctorZen

• Pamela
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Pamela on topic Playback display has side bars

Posted 17 Jan 2017 04:03 #3

Attached are the settings used to edit and used to render. I don't see the thumbnail that you mentioned in your instructions. Let me know if they came.

Thanks
Last Edit:17 Jan 2017 12:44 by Pamela
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Pamela
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 17 Jan 2017 04:07 #4
The below thumbnail attachments show both. I am not sure what I did to get 2 displays of the project properties.
by Pamela

Replied by ericlnz on topic Playback display has side bars

Posted 17 Jan 2017 09:12 #5
Suggest you post a shot of your entire screen when you playback so we can see what you are seeing.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, vkmast

Posted 17 Jan 2017 12:47 #6
Thank you for screen shots.
I edited your post so that both screen shots now display properly.

All your settings are good, so your video should be displaying full widescreen.
As ericlnz suggested, you can please now take a full screen shot of your video playing, so we can see what you mean.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Pamela
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 18 Jan 2017 10:20 #7
Funny thing. I am wondering if it is a setting on windows media player. I tried the video on a large screen TV and it played full screen. But the shot of the playback on WMedia player is attached. I hope when you open it, the black bars on each side are showing. I don't see them on the thumbnail.

And thanks for the help.
by Pamela
Attachments:

Replied by ericlnz on topic Playback display has side bars

Posted 18 Jan 2017 11:47 #8
Your video isn't occupying the entire screen due to the taskbar at the bottom. So to maintain the videos correct shape WMP is shrinking it which results in the black sidebars. Get WMP to show it fullscreen and they (and the taskbar) should disappear.

I get an arrow in the bottom right of my WMP screen to toggle on/off into full screen.
Last Edit:18 Jan 2017 11:51 by ericlnz

Posted 18 Jan 2017 14:26 #9
Pressing ALT + Enter (Return) keys is the shortcut for WMP to go Fullscreen - do the same to exit fullscreen.
You should also be able to double-click your mouse pointer and go fullscreen as well.

• Pamela
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 19 Jan 2017 03:35 #10
You Go! Guys! That did it. I had clicked the box at the top upper right to make it go full screen but that is what you were seeing. When I clicked the arrow bottom right it slid right into full. Thanks.
Before I close this issue up, I would like to ask one more thing. Sometimes I have been able to get the progress bar at the bottom to go away by getting the mouse arrow off of the screen and sometimes not. Is there a shortcut to eliminate the progress bar during playback.

Thanks again for the WMP solution.
by Pamela

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.858 seconds