VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Preview Window Lagging when editing 4K video on 2x Core laptop

• DoctorZen
  • DoctorZen's Avatar Away
  • Don't Panic !
  • Thank you received: 1563
Hi again Lauren

Thank you for sending a copy of your project file.
I can now appreciate just how much work you have put into this one project.

I can see the number of Tracks and FX you have applied to this 4K project - this explains even more why you have been experiencing problems on your current computer. You have a lot of complex data loaded onto the timeline, which requires more RAM and CPU processing power. I can't see anything obviously wrong with any of your settings. I think it is just a simple case that your computer is completely overloaded.

New question for you: should I uninstall VMSP 14.0 now that I’m running 15.0?

It is OK to have different versions of Vegas installed on the same computer.
Vegas project files are only forwards compatible and not backwards compatible.

Example: If you have an old project saved with version 12 and open it with v15, version 15 should be able to open it.
If you have a new project created and saved with v15, you cannot open it with any version lower than v15.

This is why you have to be very careful when opening older saved projects, with newer versions of Vegas.
I encourage everyone to save their projects in version folders - if you are creating with v15, save in VMSP15 folder.
If you do open projects in newer versions of Vegas, made with older versions of Vegas, it's a good idea to make copies of the project files first, before you start mucking around with things. Then if something goes wrong, you can still open the original project file version.

It's probably best to only use version 15 from now on.
My guess is that a new free build version for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15 should be released very soon.
A new build version for Vegas Pro 15 was just released yesterday, that contains many bugs fixes and program updates.
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum uses the same core code and should get some of the same updates.

In my FAQ that explains how to do a full program reset, I mention a lot of stuff that really is not that important.
You can skip all the warnings and just go directly to a reset. You don't need to copy any temp files.
You will not lose any important work during a reset, because it is only temporary files that will automatically be regenerated.
Basic instructions are here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

Version 12 of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum was one of the best versions ever released by Sony.
It was a very stable version and I would imagine it would work very well on your current computer.

Version 15 is designed to work better with the latest computer hardware - CPU, GPUs, etc....
V15 is also better suited for 4K editing - version 12 does not have 4K editing settings.

When you new computer arrives, all of your problems should go away.

All the best :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BoxingFan20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks very much, Derek; your feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Really excited for my new computer; optimistic these issues should all resolve upon its arrival, as you suggest. That would be fantastic.

Today I simply attempted creating .jpg's from the video (by hitting the save icon above the preview window); apparently even this is too much for my laptop to handle, as the problem manifests all over again. In this case I can get VMSP to show me the full 4K image in the preview screen but after saving the .jpg file I can open it independently and only see black, as there's no image. Such a downer.

Will perform the hard reset on V15 and keep in mind your delineating tips about the different versions. (Especially good to realize V12 doesn't output 4K! And that V15 is designed to work better with the latest CPUs and GPUs, which makes total sense.)

What's the best way to watch for the imminent build update to VMSP15 that you’re anticipating? Just keep checking the Magix website versus within the program itself under Help-->Check for News? Definitely eager to download the update as soon as it drops.

Best regards,
Lauren

• DoctorZen
  • DoctorZen's Avatar Away
  • Don't Panic !
  • Thank you received: 1563
New build version updates are always released first on the official Vegas Forums here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/news-forum/patches/

Unfortunately the Help/Check for Updates function in Vegas, is very slow to announce new build versions.
I will normally send out a message through all the Movie Studio Zen social media accounts and here of on the forum, when a new build version is released.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 May 2018 09:27 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: BoxingFan20

Thanks, Derek!! :)

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.802 seconds