VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Upgrading from Movie Studio Platinum 13

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Upgrading from Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 15 Aug 2018 00:16 #11

PJ wrote: Only thing i had with platinum 15 is (maybe after the latest update) is that each next clip in the timeline is not looking well in the display/preview wenn looking at it with play button. It does not matter if i set the setting lower. Normally it could go a bit hacking if i put 2 clips mp4 over each other like fading.
In Platinum 15 i did set it like in 13 with preferences videocard by video.
The video in the end looks okay but you can not preview it like i did normally because its hacking/lagging completly every next mp4clip.

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure I am following what you are expressing, but I think you are previewing your 50 fps video and when it comes to the end of one event (clip) which has been overlapped to the beginning of the next event, creating a fade from one to the next, the preview then lags (stutters) running less than 50 fps, say maybe 8, 12, 20 or so, then goes back to running at 50 fps when the preview is past the part that has been overlapped (fade in/out). If this is what you are referring to, that is not unusual. At the point that the two events overlap each other your system (GPU/CPU) are processing two events and this takes more processing power. I get this on my system as well depending on the source media. If I use a transition of some type instead of a simple fade, it happens often. However, I would not think this to be any different than with your version 13.
Best Regards......George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PJ
  • PJ's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by PJ on topic Upgrading from Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 15 Aug 2018 04:41 #12
Thanks for your reply.

The preview i will test when i am at home.

The lagging is also there when just putting a clip next to the other clip. Normally like you say with fading it was a bit laggy in P13 also but now with just putting a clip next to the other it is lagging in preview very much each time.

When i did buy P15 i did a short test with respeedr in P15. I do think it was okay by then and no lagging with two clips next to eachother. But maybe after the latest update for P15 a few days before i left to the circuit, i think 2th of August it was, that weekend at the circuit editing it was horrible with lagging. So no preview possible it looked horrible.

When i am at home i will test it again and also in P13.

Pj
by PJ

Posted 15 Aug 2018 04:59 #13
Peter, are these events which you have applied the ReSpeedr FX, or events straight from the camera?
Best Regards......George

• PJ
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 15 Aug 2018 05:43 #14
They are straight from the camera. It was the mp4 movie files from the circuit. 50p all intra 200 mbps as usually. Only now cine-v and set on top of the gh4 for movie (camera icon so i can push record on top also). Normally i did film on top of the camera set to P and pushed record at the back of the camera. But i do not think that makes any different to the mp4....? After buying P15 and respeedr the test i did was for the update of P15 and with a few mp4 files of a few months earlier (all intra 50p set on top gh4 on P).
by PJ

Posted 15 Aug 2018 06:32 #15

PJ wrote: Normally i did film on top of the camera set to P and pushed record at the back of the camera. But i do not think that makes any different to the mp4....?

Yes, you are correct, this does not make any changes to the recorded video clips, just simply changes what the top button does when pressed.

I set my GH4 up to record PAL, 50 fps, MP4 (LPCM), 1920x1080, 50.00p 200 Mbps, ALL-INTRA LPCM, which should match what you are using. I then placed three clips on the track with the events butted end to end. Playback preview at 'Best (Full)' was flawless at 50p. Then I overlapped the events to create a simple fade-in and the preview speed went from 50 fps to about 44 fps during the frames that were overlapped.

I'm using Vegas Pro 15, but I think DoctorZen and other members here using both the Movie Studio 15 (latest build) and Vegas Pro 15 (latest build) would agree, there is nothing different between those programs as far as the preview functions.

Of course there is a difference between our systems, but my point of this simple test proves to me there isn't anything wrong with your MS15, but there maybe something different with the way each program is handled by your hardware system. Or, both ver 13 and 15 will work the same on your test footage once you can compare them side by side.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, PJ

• PJ
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 15 Aug 2018 07:26 #16
Thanks George!

In 1,5 weeks i am at home and test it in p13 and p15.

You can see the frames changing when overlapping two clips in the preview window? I will look at that.

Also my nvidia had an update maybe there is a problem....

Will let you know testing 3 clips in P13 and P15. Hopefully there will be an update when i am at home because it was very very laggy.

Pj
by PJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• PJ
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 25 Aug 2018 18:59 #17
Morning from Holland,

Back home testing the Video from Holiday in P15 en P13 as also the Preview window.

Preview Window works! Thanks.

Lagging in P15 with only normal shots is extremly. Opend P13 with exactly same shots....almost no lag. In P13 set preview Best Auto (in P15 it does not matter set it high, set it low lag is extremely there). Did take a look at some settings and did see two things:

1. preview video settings under GENERAL there was in P15 this option wich was out: 'allow legacy GPU rendering. I did put this on in P15. Is that correct?
2. peview video settings under VIDEO there was under : 'title safe area % in P13 nothing filled in. In P15 it was set to 20%. I did put this to 0% in P15.

After doing this i did think it was getting a bit better. Now setting it back i maybe think option 1 is good to set on and set option 2 back to 20%.
It looks it took a while like normally in P13 to play 3 times the same part and than it looks okay with no lag. In p15 now it is looking a bit better. Being in a few weeks on track again and making now the holiday movie i will find out.

Still it is a bit strange that this is happening (hopefully happend...). If it will come back again it looks like P13 is the better option if i want to have a normal looking preview, but for now it looks a bit better suddenly, i don't know why. One thing i am sure is that my laptop can handle it, so it must be something with an update or setting. The very first test of p15 was also okay with settings preview highest and no lag of almost nothing.
by PJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 26 Aug 2018 07:32 #18
Hi PJ,

I try not to argue with success. This might have been one of those "Twilight Zone" things that Dr Zen calls them. Something weird happens we cannot explain, we do something else for a while and when we come back, everything seems fine, or at least better. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort to seek out an explanation which has been eluding us and instead just go down the road and finish our project.

However, if things are running slow for whatever reason, like we have applied a bunch of FX's or transitions that will slow down the preview, we can always use the Dynamic Preview for a short section to get it up to normal preview speed. I do this sometimes. When I do, I set the (Options > Preferences > Video tab) 'Dynamic RAM preview max (MB):' from the standard '200' up to something like '5,000' (or whatever it may take) and then return it sometime later back down to the normal '200'. Then mark a section on the timeline and hit 'Shift+B' (or 'Tools' > 'Build Dynamic RAM Preview' and then play. If we didn't allow enough in the Video preferences, Vegas will not Dynamically render all that we marked and needs more allotment. However, upping the Dynamic RAM preview max, too high may cause problems in other areas that Vegas needs RAM for. It has always been a bit of trial and error for me until this latest computer build that I have 64 Gig RAM.

Anyway, happy to hear you have it worked out for now.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: PJ

• PJ
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 26 Aug 2018 16:54 #19
Hi George and thanks for answering!

Second morning making video....and still just laggy at some or most points and testing after this not nice lagging….

I put two clips and put them over eachother (fade in fade out). In P15 horrible, i do not even see it in the preview. In P13 perfect almost no lag. In P13 i did test it as new video so again also in P15 only those two clips as new video.

In P13 almost no lag in P15 i can not see the lag because the preview is not showing it because its so much lag its stands still and after fading is over it shows the normal video.

I noticed in P13 when starting up it is saying 64bit so i thougt maybe i have P15 in 32bit? but in starting up P15 i can't see it. Also in options it does not show me if i have P15 in 64bit of 32 bit. Maybe this is the problem? Because if this will stay so i than think i will use P13 and the only thing P15 was for me to get Respeedr. Ofcourse there shoult be something wrong in P15 because if P13 would be super with almost no lagging than why it is in P15...…

Hope there will be something to find for this problem.

PJ
by PJ

Replied by vkmast on topic Upgrading from Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 26 Aug 2018 17:18 #20

PJ wrote: ---I noticed in P13 when starting up it is saying 64bit so i thougt maybe i have P15 in 32bit? but in starting up P15 i can't see it. Also in options it does not show me if i have P15 in 64bit of 32 bit. Maybe this is the problem?---
Hope there will be something to find for this problem. PJ

All the Magix-branded releases of VMS Platinum (and VPro) are 64 bit only, so you can rule that out.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: PJ

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.920 seconds