VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Importing media into Vegas Movie Studio

Importing media into Vegas Movie Studio was created by WTKvids

Posted 02 Dec 2018 08:04 #1
Dear community,
Please help me, I have been making movies for a while with home videos that I have taken. I have in the past always used "import from camcorder disc" and the video has always come out choppy and looks awful. I have been trying to fix this for years by messing with settings of every type. I could be wrong but I believe now that it's a formatting problem because the videos are all .VOB files. I suspect this because someone sent me an .mp4 file and it looks great in the program, but I tried some file converters and that didn't work either. Can anyone help me?
Last Edit:02 Dec 2018 08:45 by WTKvids

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Importing media into Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 02 Dec 2018 09:13 #2
Hi WTKvids

Which exact version of Vegas Movie Studio are you using ?

Are you specifically talking about importing video only from a Camcorder Disc ?
OR
Are you importing from an SD card ?

.VOB files are a disc format.
Normally when .vob files are imported correctly from a disc into Vegas, they are automatically converted into MPEG-2 files with a .mpg file extension.
If your videos are still in .vob format after importing into Vegas, there is no technical reason why .vob format would be "choppy".

I suspect your actual problem is being caused by your Project Property settings.
If the Vegas Project Properties do not match your .vob video file properties, that would cause choppy playback.

To help you further, I need to know the properties of your .vob or .mpeg files.
Go to the Project Media tab in Vegas.
First can you confirm the videos after import have been converted into .mpg format ?
Right-click one of the .mpg or .vob files and select Properties
Please take a screen shot and upload to the forum, so that I can see exactly what you are working with.
If you don't know how to take a screen shot, please read instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/welcome-to-msz/1541-how-to-take-a-screen-shot-of-your-desktop-and-upload-it-to-the-forum#7660

It should look something like this:

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Replied by WTKvids on topic Importing media into Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 03 Dec 2018 01:51 #3
I am using Movie Studio Platinum 13.0
The files are from a DVD. The home movies are taken on a camcorder (taken by someone else so I don't know what type of camera). Then their put on a DVD which is what I'm working with. This is what I see when I click on properties for my project media.

I would love to get smoother video because the choppiness and blurry-ness get worse as I add effects and transitions.
by WTKvids
Attachments:

Posted 03 Dec 2018 09:22 #4
There are a few thing you need to look at.

1. If you have been using Movie Studio for a long time on the same computer, I recommend you do a full program reset.
This will clean the temporary files cache and restore all settings back to factory defaults.
Instructions on how to reset here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

2. After the reset, go to Options/Preferences/Video - GPU Acceleration of video processing
If there is a Graphics Card showing in the drop down list, select it and then re-boot Vegas.

3. Open your project and make sure when you are working with this type of video that your Project Properties are set exactly to what you see here.

4. I recommend setting the Preview Window quality to Preview Auto when editing - it may look blurry, but this is only for editing - the final rendered video will look OK.

5. Finally, I recommend you watch this video about Preview Lag - it will show you some more solutions to get things running more smoothly.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Replied by WTKvids on topic Importing media into Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 03 Dec 2018 11:52 #5
I did everything that you suggested and while the video is a little better it's still pretty blurry. I think I've tried everything I can at this point. The video is of kart racing but you can't see the karts there just blobs of color.
Last Edit:04 Dec 2018 08:44 by WTKvids

Posted 03 Dec 2018 13:47 #6

WTKvids wrote: I did everything that you suggested and while the video is a little better it's still pretty blurry. I think I've tried everything I can at this point. The video is of kart racing but you can't see the karts there just blobs of color.

Something I should have mentioned...
To see the full resolution of the video, set the Preview Window = Best/Full
This will show you the highest resolution of the video, however you were also saying that the video was choppy, so only while you are editing, it is best to lower the preview window settings for smoother playback. You can jump back to Best/Full at any time to check the full resolution available.

Another thing to know is that the subject matter of your video is very difficult to look good, because it is fast moving SD video.
You need an HD video camera using a high Frame Rate to record this type of subject.

If I look into my crystal ball, there is a 2nd thing I need to mention.
I have not asked you which Output Settings you are using to render your video with.
Because your original video is only Standard Definition quality, you should not be trying to render/output HD video quality.
This will not make the video look any better and will in fact make it look worse.

If you are rendering video for YouTube or playback on your computer/TV, I recommend you output to these settings.
Go to Project/Make Movie/Save to Hard Drive/Advanced Options
Select Mainconcept AVC/AAC - Internet 480p Widescreen
Press Customize
Now enter the exact settings I have created here and press Render.
This will give you good quality SD video.

Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.120 seconds