Solved Movie Studio shows black images instead of video clip

• Thank you received: 3

Movie Studio shows black images instead of video clip was created by Aladdin

Hi

I'm having a relatively new problem. When I insert a video clip which is working just fine if I play it using ordinary software - the clip shows the image mostly washed out. In fact, the video looks like - for all intents and purposes - to be completely black and I cannot see the video. What could have happened and is there any way I can get back to having Movie Studio show me my video clips correctly again?

Attachment attached. You'll see that - with the exception of certain parts of the video that are showing bits and pieces of the image - the rest of the image is completely black. This is happening with all my videos now. The video itself plays just fine in ordinary playing software.

Thanks!
15 Jul 2019 00:16 #1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1306

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio shows black images instead of video clip

The first thing I recommend you try is a full program reset, which will clean the temporary files cache and restore all settings to default values.
After performing reset, start a new project and add one of your videos - is it OK now ?

Reset instructions:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

If the reset does not work, can you please inspect your video with the MediaInfo app and upload results to the forum.
If you don't know about MediaInfo, please read these instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/2234-audio-going-out-of-sync-in-vegas-pro-14#11356
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aladdin
15 Jul 2019 16:03 #2

Replied by Aladdin on topic Movie Studio shows black images instead of video clip

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I had done a reset not so long ago - but I did another reset and it didn't help. Here is the text file of the MediaInfo:

General
Complete name : E:\Videos\The Last Soviet Sofer\2019-07-14 15-25-40.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 659 MiB
Duration : 22 min 21 s
Overall bit rate : 4 123 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf57.84.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 3 984 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.032
Stream size : 637 MiB (97%)
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 129 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
15 Jul 2019 16:22 #3

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio shows black images instead of video clip

I can't see anything unusual with the video properties.

Where are you getting these videos from, that are not working ?
What device or program is generating them ?
Is this a screen capture ?

Have you tried turning your Graphics Card on/off ?
Go to Options/Preferences/Video - GPU Acceleration
Make sure to re-boot Vegas after turning the GPU on/off.

What type of Graphics Card are you using ?
Make and model ?
Driver version ?

If you can make a 10 second sample clip from the same source, you can send it to me to test in MSP13.
Upload to Google Drive or something like that and send me a download link.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aladdin
15 Jul 2019 16:47 #4

Replied by Aladdin on topic Movie Studio shows black images instead of video clip

Thanks again for this response. Let me answer your questions:

The videos are all my own created using the free video software called OBS Studio (which seems to work really nicely until I put it into Movie Studio!). Yes this is a screen capture. You can see that my video has turned into a black line - except for certain places where an outline of the image appears very slightly.

I changed the Video Preference settings from the off setting to NVIDIA Corporation (GeForce 110 MX110 and then to Intel Corporation Intel R UHD Graphiccs 620) but none of this worked either.

It looks like my graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce MX110 Driver 389.12. I can take a screenshot of all the other information under the graphics card settings if you require something else.

Here is a link to a small file shared on Google Drive: drive.google.com/file/d/1a-ahE0Oq1dXfNgQCAZ_ic2qDUdUILNxe/view?usp=sharing

Here is a screen capture of that same file (which works perfectly outside of Movie Studio) showing the first frame and then the rest is simply black or an outline of sorts:

Thanks for any help you can provide.
16 Jul 2019 00:57 #5
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 208

Replied by ericlnz on topic Movie Studio shows black images instead of video clip

As we've discovered on the Vegas forum your files give others problems and it's probably the way you are recording your OBS.
Unless Derek comes up with an alternative solution the answer is probably to look at the links vkmast gave you to see what the recommended OBS settings are. From memory I'm sure there are also posts on here relating to OBS problems. Derek once mentioned he uses OBS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast
16 Jul 2019 13:56 #6

Hi Aladdin

Thank you for the test video footage.
As I suspected, your video is behaving the exact same way in Vegas on my computer.
The problem is being caused by the recording settings you are using in OBS, as @ericlnz has stated.
Some combinations of settings are problematic and will not work in any video editing programs.

Here are the settings I use for OBS.
Try these out first and record a test video, then see if it works now.

It might be a good idea if you can also take some screen shots of your current OBS settings and share them here, so that I know specifically what doesn't work in OBS.

The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast, Aladdin
16 Jul 2019 14:26 #7
Attachments:

Thank you DoctorZen

Definitely deserving of the title Doctor!

Follow up:

I changed two settings in OBS. I changed the output video rate to be 5000 Kbps and I also changed the encoder to be Software (x264) - as per your picture. The other settings were set as should be according to the picture. Amazingly it seems to be working now. I can't believe it! I'll carry on with it for future videos, and if I have anything to report about it not working again - I'll let you know. Otherwise this may have been the solution. Amazing.

My screen does not look exactly the same as yours and I am using the latest OBS download. See capture below.

Again - a great thank you for all your assistance - all who answered!

The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
17 Jul 2019 00:20 #8
Attachments:

I'm glad my suggestion has fixed your problem.

The reason why OBS looks different on your computer, is because you have it in Simple mode.
Set to Advanced and you will see the same as myself.

17 Jul 2019 11:23 #9
Attachments:

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.