DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Vegas Pro 19 freezes with lack of memory warning

• Michel
  • Michel's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 32

Vegas Pro 19 freezes with lack of memory warning was created by Michel

Posted 04 Aug 2023 22:18 #1
Hi,

I' m working on a new project within Vegas Pro 19 and notice that I'm having frequent freezes for lack of memory reasons. For example I'm working with a 330mg. MP4 file, I install it on the timeline, and at that point I'm getting a Vegas Pro not responding message on the upper left part of the screen, the red X appears on the upper right part of the screen and naturally I'm getting the cursor in the hourglass shape for close to two minutes. This happens often.

Nothing of this nature happens when I do the same with my version of Vegas pro 16...smooth as silk!

My PC is equiped with 16 gb. of Ram. I just made a RAM test with the Windows 10 diagnostics and everything is ok. So I went on Youtube and many suggest to increase the RAM to 50% in the Preferences which I did to no avail. I must also mention that I have an AMD Radeon RX 6600 graphics card that provides sufficiant memory for my VP 19  projects.

Since I must advance with this project I'll try to use VP16 for some parts hoping I can include them with version 19...I'm hoping someone out there has a solution for this issue...thanks.

Michel
Last Edit:09 Aug 2023 13:18 by Michel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 19 freezes with lack of memory warning

Posted 09 Aug 2023 13:41 #2
The first thing you need to do is return Dynamic RAM Preview Max = 200MB
The Dynamic RAM Preview Max setting, has nothing to do with timeline performance or rendering performance.
Allocating high amounts to this setting will actually "take away" from available RAM for normal editing and rendering and make things much worse!!!
This setting is only used for doing "temporary" renders of very small sections of your timeline, so that you can preview small sections with FX applied and NOT see any stuttering/lag in the Preview Window. If you have a small section (5 to 10 seconds) you would like to preview at full resolution (like a transition point), you create a small "Loop Region" by dragging the yellow triangles above timeline ruler, then press Shift + B. This small section will then be rendered into the RAM only. Play it back to view in Preview. This is ONLY TIME you would dramatically increase the Dynamic RAM Preview Max amount, so there is enough allocated RAM for doing Shift + B temporary renders.

300 MBs is a very small video file size.
Does this video come from a mobile phone ?
Was this video recorded as HDR and/or Dolby Vision video ?
If the answer is yes to either of these questions, then that is probably the reason why your video is freezing.
Mobile Phone video is recorded using Variable Frame Rate, which most Video Editing programs don't like, because video editing programs work with Constant Frame Rate video.
Variable Frame Rate video can behave strangely in VEGAS and cause stuttering/freezing.
I always recommend people convert Variable Frame Rate video using Handbrake, before importing into VEGAS.
I explained how to convert this type of video with Handbrake in this older forum post here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/3022-mov-file-has-0-19-second-delay-in-audio-behind-video#15166

I have no idea why your video is working OK in VEGAS Pro 16 and not in VEGAS Pro 19.
My guess is that it has something to do with the different versions of VEGAS decoder in these versions of VEGAS and a the GPU you are using.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Aug 2023 13:55 by DoctorZen

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by Michel on topic Vegas Pro 19 freezes with lack of memory warning

Posted 09 Aug 2023 22:20 #3
Hi Derek,

Yes my .veg file was 330mgs. when I wrote my post. It is now finalized and has 2300mgs. format that uses all my patience in inactivity (cursor spinning). I just lowered my RAM at 200mgs and maintain my graphics card as a GPU acceleration of video processing. Still takes forever. I'm wondering if the fact that the project was made of mostly (80%) of clips and photos taken with cell phones and the rest with my camera have an impact because I recently did finalize a family project made with 95% using my camera and did not have the freezing issues I'm having with this Las Vegas project? And as you, I just don't understand why that issue is not present with VP 16? Weird!

Don't have to answer this post Derek. I just rendered my project. I did use some clips taken from Youtube for my Las Vegas project added to all the media given to me from the friends with whom we went on that recent trip.

Before I leave. Do you think I should invest 99$ USD for the advertised version 20 of VP?

Thanks again for your input, always appreciated...hope you feel well my friend!

Michel
by Michel

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 19 freezes with lack of memory warning

Posted 10 Aug 2023 13:14 #4
If your project that rendered slowly contains 4K video and is being rendered in 4K resolution, that would explain the slow rendering time.
Also! If most of the video is from your phone and is all Variable Frame Rate video, that would also explain very slow render times.
Variable Frame Rate video is all over the place and takes a long time to be rendered into Constant Frame Rate.
If all your phone video was converted to Constant Frame Rate before importing into VEGAS, that will most likely speed up rendering times.

VEGAS Pro 21 will be released very, very soon.
VEGAS Pro 20 did have a lot of technical features added to it, during it's lifetime.
To get an idea of what New Features was added to VP20, I recommend reading my log file for all updates here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/doctor-zen-faq/vegas-pro-20-update-history

If you did decide to upgrade to VEGAS Pro 20, I recommend getting VEGAS Edit 20 version, which is the full version of Vegas Pro, just by itself.
VEGAS Edit 20 upgrade is only $59.99 Canadian Dollars.
VEGAS Edit 20 upgrade link here (Canadian $ version)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by Michel on topic Vegas Pro 19 freezes with lack of memory warning

Posted 10 Aug 2023 22:50 #5
Hi Derek,

$60cdn for Version 20 is a great deal, thanks for the info...just DL the app.

Let you know how it works.

Have a great one Derek.

Michel
by Michel

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.828 seconds