VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Sudden, annoying & loud noises in audio track

• kateea
  • kateea's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 0

Sudden, annoying & loud noises in audio track was created by kateea

Posted 19 Feb 2016 15:16 #1
I video taped several lectures in a room with an audience. They cough, dishes clank, metal clinks, etc. Is there an easy way to mask out these sounds? I want to show the lecturer and not have these annoying sounds in my finished DVD.
:?
by kateea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Sudden, annoying & loud noises in audio track

Posted 19 Feb 2016 19:07 #2
Hi kateea

There is one way to remove close to 100% of the noises.
You need to use Sony's Spectral Layers Pro.
www.sonycreativesoftware.com/spectralayerspro

It graphically displays all frequencies as a picture.
Harsh noises like the ones you are describing, will show up as thick lines in the spectrum display.
To remove these sounds, you basically paint the sound out like using the paint brush tool in Photoshop.
I haven't made any tutorials about how to use this software, however you will find some on the Sony Software YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/user/Sonysoftwareofficial/videos

You should be able to download and use the free trial to fix your project.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• kateea
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by kateea on topic Sudden, annoying & loud noises in audio track

Posted 21 Feb 2016 15:43 #3
Thanks for your reply, but I do not understand the spectral analysis tutorial and how it relates to SONY Movie Studio. Where do I find the tutorial about "painting out" the noises? How do Sound Forge audio corrections get into my Movie Studio video?

Thanks for your patience with a newbie.
Kay
by kateea

Posted 21 Feb 2016 17:33 #4
You asked is there a way to mask out these sounds ?
Movie Studio Platinum does not have the ability to remove unwanted sounds - that is why I recommended using Spectral Layers Pro which definitely can do exactly what you are asking.

What you would do is open a copy of the audio track from your Movie Studio project into Spectral Layers Pro and fix the audio here.
Then save a copy of the fixed audio and re-import back into Movie Studio.
This is definitely not a beginners level project to attempt. You need time and patience to do this type of thing. If you are a patient type of person, you can definitely do this for yourself, however you will need to watch some tutorials beforehand and experiment a bit before attempting the actual project.

Here is a link to some beginners tutorials on how to use Spectral Layers Pro.
www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training/spectralayerspro

If all of this too overwhelming, what I would recommend you can do is some basic Audio Editing using tools that are available in Movie Studio Platinum right now. I have an excellent tutorial which will show you how to add an Audio Envelope to your Audio Track. Using an Audio Envelope, you can lower the audio volume whenever someone coughs or makes a noise. Please be aware that everything is going to go quiet when you use this approach.
How to Edit Audio Volume & Pan Envelopes using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• kateea
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 22 Feb 2016 16:48 #5
Thank you. I will try the volume envelopes. Somewhere I saw your tutorial about "painting out" the unwanted parts of the audio waves. I cannot find it again. Where is it? How difficult is that one?
I do not yet understand how to get the audio edited in Sound Forge back into the video project and ensure that the audio and video stay together properly. Where is that tutorial?
by kateea

Posted 22 Feb 2016 20:42 #6
The Sound Forge tutorial is here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sound-forge/545-how-to-make-magic-strawberries-sound-forge

I have not made any tutorials showing how to "paint out" audio waves using Spectral Layers Pro, that is why I sent you the link to Sony's tutorials on this topic.

• kateea
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 23 Feb 2016 08:41 #7
Thank you. I am living with those tutorials. I think the Spectral Layers Pro is waaaay over my head. I will stick with the envelopes.
Kay
by kateea

Replied by Richard Jones on topic Sudden, annoying & loud noises in audio track

Posted 23 Feb 2016 23:05 #8
You might try Audacity (free) which may (or may not!) solve your problem. Perhaps worth a try? Bill Myers has a useful starter guide/instruction video on his web page.

Richard

• kateea
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 24 Feb 2016 09:43 #9
Who is Bill Myers and how do I find his tutorials?

How can I use Audacity in a video editing process with SONY Movie Studio?

Can you explain what is a "keyframe" and "Fx". Is there a glossary of such terms for us newbies? The other mystery is what all the format choices are and when each one is appropriate to use?

I stumbled across an editing tutorial that showed re-painting out the bad sound waves;it was not among the Spectral Layers tutorials, but something else. I lost it and cannot find it. I do not understand how to find the bookmarks I save in chrome, so could not find it even if I "bookmarked" it.

Thanks for continuing to try to help me.
Kay
by kateea

Posted 24 Feb 2016 10:45 #10
I can only answer part of your questions.
Bill Myers does similar stuff to myself and you can find his channel here www.youtube.com/user/guerillabill
You have already asked me about how to fix your audio and you came to the conclusion that using Spectral Layers Pro would be too complicated. If you try to learn Audacity at the same time, I fear you are jumping directly back into the same circle.

It is normal to feel overwhelmed when you begin to learn how to use Video Editing programs and other related programs.
Trying to understand everything all at once will just give you a headache - at least that's what happened to myself when I started the learning process back in 2007.

Start with the basics and learn one small thing at a time, then have a break.
Make sure you watch my Beginners Guide tutorial for Movie Studio Platinum 13.
Beginners Guide for Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13

FX = Video Effects or Audio Effects.
In Movie Studio you can go to the Video FX tab and drag an effect (FX) onto a video.

Keyframes can be used to control Video FX.
When you create a Key-Frame inside a Video FX window, it takes a snap shot of all the settings at a particular point in your video.
Typically you would then move along in time to a different point and then change the settings for your Video FX and create a new Key-Frame.
This process is continued.
When the video is then played back, the Video FX will appear to be animated due to the controls changing at each key-frame.

Copy this address into Google Chrome:
chrome://bookmarks/
Then you can use the search box to search for particular words.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.820 seconds