VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved CPU Pegging at 100%

CPU Pegging at 100% was created by Tripper

Posted 17 Mar 2017 04:04 #1
My wife is using MS 13, build 955, with i7-6700 and 16GB ram (I'm tech support). Getting the CPU pegging out at 98-100% but with less than 10% memory used during rendering to MP4 for upload to YouTube. There's not a lot else open nor any excessive traffic to the drive, it appears to be all within the CPU.

Thoughts?
by Tripper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Videome on topic CPU Pegging at 100%

Posted 18 Mar 2017 20:46 #2

Tripper wrote: Getting the CPU pegging out at 98-100% but with less than 10% memory used during rendering to MP4 for upload to YouTube. There's not a lot else open nor any excessive traffic to the drive, it appears to be all within the CPU.

Thoughts?

I provided some possible areas to examine in this thread started by another forum member. Use your task manager to identify which task is grabbing your cpu time. Then look at this thread, there may be something in there that could help you narrow down the root cause.

www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/general-discussion/1386-move-back-to-windows-7?limitstart=0#6616
by Videome
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic CPU Pegging at 100%

Posted 25 Mar 2017 18:22 #3
I don't think there is anything wrong with the CPU being used at full capacity while rendering.
This is pretty normal when I render a video using the CPU only.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Mar 2017 18:22 by DoctorZen

Replied by Tripper on topic CPU Pegging at 100%

Posted 28 Mar 2017 01:17 #4
Thank you. I have passed that along to her, but she tells me "It just started doing this a couple of weeks ago, did you buy me a lame PC?"

My personal opinion is that it's rendering, so it eats up the CPU time. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

But, you did mention something about using the CPU only. Can it be offloaded onto the GPU?
by Tripper

Replied by Tripper on topic CPU Pegging at 100%

Posted 28 Mar 2017 01:31 #5
Thanks. That's the first thing I did was to open Task Manager and go to Resource Monitor to see what exactly was happening. With nothing else open aside from routine system applications, MS will take whatever CPU it can have and hit 98-100%, but without disk thrashing. Since I'm not seeing anything lagging behind on disk access (which would back up into the memory and hit the CPU), that's telling me that memory is being managed properly and things are orderly being written to cache on the disk. There's nothing special happening anywhere else at all, not the disk, not the network, not the memory. As DoctorZen says below, I'm beginning to believe that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I do performance evaluations as part of my job, but they're mostly on things like SAP/SCADA environments with large enterprise level disk arrays attached. The fun part is to convince the client that the problem isn't the hardware it's their application that's the issue and just throwing hardware at it is a waste of money and only applying a band aid. A big, expensive band aid.

Oddly, MS is behaving like an application that is poorly tuned or undersized CPU wise, but without all the accompanying symptoms (memory spikes, disk thrashing, etc.).
by Tripper

Replied by DoctorZen on topic CPU Pegging at 100%

Posted 28 Mar 2017 20:50 #6
An important thing to remember: What is in the project, can have a big effect on how much work the CPU has to do.

Some Video Codecs/Formats are much more CPU intensive than others - many video codecs are highly compressed, which adds greatly to the work the CPU has to do.

Some Output Profiles are also much more CPU intensive than others - Windows Media Video .wmv is an example of a CPU intensive format. I do not recommend people use this in 2017.

The more Video FX you add to a project, the more the CPU has to work.

When people report that Movie Studio/Vegas Pro was working totally OK for a long time, but then suddenly dips in performance, I recommend you a full reset of the program. Resetting defaults all settings back to the day you first installed the program and also cleans the temporary files cache. Over time the cache can become filled with temp files. If these become corrupted, it can have a negative impact on the program.

Instructions for how to reset here:
How can I reset my VEGAS Software back to factory defaults?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 Mar 2017 20:51 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds