VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idea What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio was created by PETENOW

Posted 03 May 2019 09:55 #1
I am not sure when I want to start a new topic I wind up having to overwrite my old topic, but Ok, I will proceed.

I bought a new plug in from New Blue FX for my Vegas Movie maker. It is called Cartoonr. For video some of the effects are choppy and some work fine. For pictures all work fine. I understand the picture part. How can a picture be choppy. So I wrote New Blue FX and they said I needed a faster card. I understand that and I will have to go back there is see if somewhere they listed requirement.

Back when I bought Vegas movie maker I read the minimum requirement. I was ok there. I had the minimum requirement. Problem was it did not work well at the minimum. Years past before I somehow learned that lots of ram would fix the problem.

Getting back to the Video card... I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks for another card but how can I be sure it will be good enough. I even read somewhere that if I but too good of a card I would be wasting my money. How can I ensure that the video graphics card will work. I am thinking that I might buy a card that doesn't quite make it and then I can't return it.

When I started with digital editing it was sound only. The software company suggested the exact sound card I needed and sure enough it works. Perhaps Magix can tell me what will work but I don't trust Magix tech support at all. That is what brought me here. In fact Magix suggested I come here.
Last Edit:03 May 2019 16:30 by PETENOW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 03 May 2019 16:39 #2
Hi Pete

Which exact version of Vegas Movie Studio are you using ?

This is an important question, because GPU Acceleration works differently in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15 & 16, compared to version 14 and older.

If you are using version 14 or older, only much older graphics cards worked well with Vegas.
However, if you are using version 15 or 16, you can basically use the best Graphics Card you can afford.
Both AMD Radeon and Nvidia graphics cards work well in version 15 and 16.

Are there any other important programs on your computer you regularly use ?
The reason I ask is because a lot of programs work better with Nvidia cards, compared to AMD Radeon.
However in Vegas, both types of GPU work well.

Some additional important questions
What model CPU does your computer use ?
How much RAM (memory) do you have installed ?

My basic recommendations
Best value and best performance for money from Nvidia would be a GTX 1060.
Best value and best performance for money from AMD Radeon would be a RX 590.

I'm sure some of the other forum members will have some suggestions for you as well.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 May 2019 16:40 by DoctorZen

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 04 May 2019 00:13 #3
Hi Pete,

The Doc has brought up some great points about video cards and their role in Vegas Movie Studio (same applies to Vegas Pro, too).

I just checked NewBlueFX site on the "Cartoonr" plug-in. Basically, they are doing what so many software companies are doing today, and giving the extreme lowest possibility of GPU Requirements. At times it is hard to fault them, since the PC Landscape of Hardware is constantly changing. But, they listed "recent" nVidia and AMD cards, with at least 1 GB of VRAM (Video Memory on the graphics card itself, not computer system memory), and support OpenGL 2.1. Though, they say a minimum of 4 GB of VRAM if working with HD content (720p, 1080p, 1440p).

So, what Dr. Zen recommended for video cards, without "breaking the bank", is of sound advice. Though if you look at the nVidia line-up, be careful, as they have various "Models" at different VRAM size. So that GTX 1060 flavor card, is available with either 3 GB or 6 GB, and even another model listing one with 11 Gbps - don't get fooled by that one. It is only referencing the "higher clocked speed memory" on the card, yet still only has 6 GB of memory. And yes, they (nVidia) have continued that confusing crap with their newest line-ups.

You could look at the newer nVidia RTX 2060 cards, with 6 GB of memory (supposedly the EVGA version one is a fantastic card from the majority of reviews I have seen). The AMD RX 580 cards (stick with the 8 GB versions, not the 4 GB) are also great performers with Vegas Pro/Movie Studio. Quite a few on the Vegas Forum use them.

I currently use the AMD Radeon VII in my "signature" machine now, having replaced an older GTX 1080 (actually had to replace it, it got damaged after my All-in-One decided to leak all over it!). Too put it mildly, depending on the type of footage, editing, and output I am doing, both were/are great cards. Recently, I just "re-furbished" an older i7-6800K Intel X99 platform, and only put the new Movie Studio Platinum 16 Suite on it, utilizing a Founder's Edition RTX 2070 from nVidia. Works fine as well.

Though, like the Doc said, we would need to know your current system specs, and which version of Movie Studio you are using. If you do a search on this site, for a computer build, you will see the one the Doc built nearly 7 years ago, that has aged well (sort of like the Doc himself! :) )

Happy Editing!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by TBQLD on topic What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 07 May 2019 14:07 #4
G'day All,

This might sound silly ... (after reading the above) ... but,

After trolling through the interwebby and Utube for two days I wonder if you could confirm that a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Windforce OC 6GB Gaming Graphics Video Card will work a lot better with my Vegas Pro 15 Edit than the Radeon card that just died ... purchased when I was informed Movie Studio 12 worked better with AMD than Nvidia ...

(I run an i7 and 32Gb RAM Asus MB VP build 416)

Kris
by TBQLD

Replied by DoctorZen on topic What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 08 May 2019 17:22 #5
Hi TBQLD and welcome to the MSZ Forum

TBQLD wrote: After trolling through the interwebby and Utube for two days I wonder if you could confirm that a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Windforce OC 6GB Gaming Graphics Video Card will work a lot better with my Vegas Pro 15 Edit than the Radeon card that just died ... purchased when I was informed Movie Studio 12 worked better with AMD than Nvidia ...

When Vegas Pro 15 was released, it included the new MAGIX AVC encoder/decoder.
The new encoder should work well with all modern Nvidia and AMD Radeon graphics cards.

The older Mainconcept encoder that came with all old versions of Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio, only worked well with very old generation GPUs.

If you were using version 14 or older, only much older AMD Radeon and Nvidia graphics cards worked well with Vegas.
However, if you are using version 15 or 16, you can basically use the best Graphics Card you can afford.
Both AMD Radeon and Nvidia graphics cards work well in version 15 and 16.

What model was your old Radeon card ?

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:08 May 2019 17:24 by DoctorZen

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 09 May 2019 00:30 #6
Hi TBQLD,

I agree with the Doc here. Plus, the "newer" GTX 1660Ti/1660/1650 cards are very new. Heck, they just got updated drivers!

To "Confirm" would mean I would have to purchase....not going to happen. Yep, "trolling through the interwebby and Utube" as you say, will pretty much only provide information on how the above mentioned cards work for gaming. Not even sure if TechGage has done any testing of it for Vegas Pro 16, which he tests with now.

What it would really come down to is, are YOU happy with the performance and results? I recently just put an old X99 system back in service, using the Broadwell-E i7-6800K (stock), 32 GB Crucial DDR4-2400 RAM, on an old MSI X99A Gaming 7, with an Intel 1TB 660p NVME PCI-e drive for OS/Apps, and another installed on a "no-name" PCI-e M.2 adapter card utilizing an Intel 2TB 660p drive for Source Media, Scratch, and Renders, with a Founder's Edition nVidia RTX 2070; all being supported with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1809), to use the new Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum Suite. With all stock, I is a Happy Camper with it! Could I over-clock CPU/GPU to get the extreme every last bit of performance? Yeah, but then would have to deal with other issues naturally, and me, I prefer Substance & Content over Speed & "eh, looks O.K.".

So, comes down to will it make YOU satisfied. Though, I am sure whether you go with the GTX 1660Ti, or even the equivalent AMD RX 570/580/590 route, it will work fine. And if you are "trolling through the interwebby", keep your eyes open for some great deals I've seen on the AMD Vega 56 & 64 cards! Not much more at times compared to either of the offerings mentioned, but a lot more performance - if that is what you want!
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by PETENOW on topic What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 09 May 2019 10:16 #7
It has been a while since I last read your email to answer questions about my system.

What version of Movie Studio do I have?
I have Version 14 (wanting to run Cartoonr from New Blue FX)

Other programs that I use that are important...

SAW (Software Audio Workshop) Audio editing
Outlook and various MS Office programs
Mixcraft (Audio Editing)
Roxio Easy VHS to DVD
Logo Design Studio Pro

Computer information

CPU : INTEL CORE i7-4790 CPU @3.60GHZ
16 GIG OF RAM
64 BIT WINDOWS 10 OPERATING SYSTEM.

I really want to know what will work. I guess it doesn't exist in the computer world but I would really like to see the process be like buying a car. I get to test drive and then pick what works for me.

Thanks for your help.
by PETENOW
The following user(s) said Thank You: TBQLD

Replied by TBQLD on topic What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 09 May 2019 18:31 #8
Thanks for the info ... confirmed I was on the right track at least ... just took delivery of an Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 ... I'll let you know how I go ... seriously considering Upgrade to VPE 16 ...

As an aside all this came about 'cause I've never liked AMD GC much and mine finally crashed (I began with Premier 4 5 6 with Nvidia) ... temporarily I've been using the GC on my motherboard ... ASUS Z97 Deluxe ... and VPE 15 works quite well for preview and editing ... not game to try rendering ...

BTW Nvidia delivered within two days of order - Sydney to Brisbane ... seems the bullocks were in the paddock this time ... well done to Ipec!

Many thanks again

TB :)
Last Edit:11 May 2019 11:53 by TBQLD

Replied by PETENOW on topic What is the best Graphics Card for Vegas Movie Studio

Posted 21 May 2019 10:27 #9
There seems to be two conversations here on the same subject. I don't have a problem with that. Some where up the thread I was asked and answered some questions about my set up. Was there a reply that I did not see? BTW I learned a lot about animating text through this web page. Thanks.

PETENOW
by PETENOW

Posted 21 May 2019 13:57 #10

PETENOW wrote: There seems to be two conversations here on the same subject. I don't have a problem with that. Some where up the thread I was asked and answered some questions about my set up. Was there a reply that I did not see? BTW I learned a lot about animating text through this web page. Thanks.

PETENOW

I don't have time to re-read this thread, however sometimes forum threads do get lost on a tangent of a tangent....

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.941 seconds