VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Movie StudioPlatinum 12 suite

Movie StudioPlatinum 12 suite was created by JoeWest

Posted 02 Dec 2016 06:31 #1
I was telling my son-in-law about msp13, and how much I liked it. He told me he bought msp12 suite a while ago and never used it. He asked if I wanted it, and I said thx but I have 13 already.

Then I got to thinking, he has 12 suite vers. Will those extras like titler and sound forge plug ins work and install for my vers. 13? Thanks in advance
by JoeWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by vkmast on topic Movie StudioPlatinum 12 suite

Posted 02 Dec 2016 11:05 #2
Hi AV...sorry I mean Joe :)

Did your friend install and register it? Sony/SCS needed to be informed of the transfer of the license and they then gave the new user a new license.
I don't know if a deactivation is enough with MAGIX if he registered it. You know the procedure to see what's on MAGIX.
You may want to check with MAGIX Customer Support what you need to do.

MS Platinum 12 Suite had extras like Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, which is its own program and can be used of course with MSP 13.

In addition, there was Magic Bullet QuickLooks (32-bit and 64-bit versions) with the Suite. No serial number was needed for that if I recall correctly. It shows in my MSP 13. You should read Dr Zen's tutorial on MB QL before you install and boot up MSP 12.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/487-how-to-apply-magic-bullet-quicklooks-using-sony-movie-studio-platinum-12-suite

And there was also NewBlueFX 3D Titling and Video Effects. Regarding this, an NB rep wrote on the SCS forum at the time: "There was an updated build after Movie Studio 13 was released. Versions prior to Movie Studio 13 being released would not recognize Movie Studio 13 and would give a watermark."
So you probably aren't able to get rid of that if it happens. Of course you could try the update option inside the plugin to see if you'd get updated.
But you might be able to do most of what you want in MSP 12 instead of 13. And you could render the project with 13-less plugins in 12 and continue then in 13...

Read first www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/396-review-movie-studio-platinum-12
Last Edit:02 Dec 2016 11:30 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie StudioPlatinum 12 suite

Posted 02 Dec 2016 12:50 #3
Ditto all of what Vkmast said :idea:

Some bonus features like Video FX, will only work in the version of Movie Studio that they came with.
I can't predict exactly what will happen, because there are too many variables.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by JoeWest on topic Movie StudioPlatinum 12 suite

Posted 02 Dec 2016 13:03 #4
Maybe I'll take it from my son-in-law and just install it on it's own. I hope and assume it can happily live on the same hard drive as my existing vers. 13.

What would happen with DVDA studio though ... will it install a duplicate ver. 5 in another folder or would it overwrite what is already there? And would both programs automatically access it? Thanks again guys!!!
by JoeWest

Posted 02 Dec 2016 15:56 #5
If you use the Installer, it will recognise that DVD Architect is already installed and just skip over it.
If you have any problems, you can just bypass the installer and manually open the Installation Disc and install one program at a time.
However, what you should actually do is download the final build versions of the main programs from the Sony Archive here:
download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/

Now that Magix owns 95% of Sony's software products, checking for updates inside of old versions will no longer work.
The program "build" versions on the V12 disc will all be out of date.

Yes it is OK to have different versions of Movie Studio installed on the same computer - it will not cause any problems.

Yes both programs can use the same version of DVDA.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Dec 2016 15:58 by DoctorZen

Posted 13 Dec 2016 14:29 #6
Hi guys. So ... I installed MS12 platinum suite. Admittedly I'm still playing with everything. It's so much different to me from Adobe.

Anyway, I set both programs, 12 and 13 to use the same amount of memory, 5 gigs, since I have 16. I also set video card acceleration in both programs for my video card. Nothing special, a GTX 750 Ti with 2g.

I places the same 2 minute video clip on the timeline of each program version. The clip was a standard definition dv-avi clip. I defined the loop section in both versions. I then clicked make movie ... with menus ... Version 12 took FOREVER to render. 17 minutes. At the end it seemed to complete fully but got an error message Movie Studio stopped responding.

I did the same thing with vers. 13 and it rendered in 38 seconds.

Vers. 12 was build 334, I found the newest version 64bit suite build .. I think 895, not sure, but it was the latest I could find. Next render test ... the same FOREVER.

BTW, just an FYI, I have not yet had a chance yet to update the vers. 13 build, but it performed very quickly.

Any Idea whats up with this?

On an aside note ... vers. 13 did recognize the vers. 12 suite add ons.
by JoeWest

Posted 13 Dec 2016 16:20 #7
All previous Sony versions of Vegas software, can be downloaded from this archive address.
download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/

Build #955 was the last build version released for Movie Studio Platinum 13 64 bit.
download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/moviestudiope13.0.955_64bit.exe

Build #1184 was last build version released for Movie Studio Platinum 12 64 bit.
download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/moviestudiope12.0.1184_64bit.exe

Dynamic RAM Preview value in the Preference Settings is best left at 200MBs, unless you actually use the one function it is meant for.
This setting only affects the amount of RAM available for rendering a short & quick test render on the timeline, between a few seconds, to no more than 20 or 30 seconds. Drag out a loop region and press Shift + B, and an uncompressed video will be rendered and saved to your computers RAM. This is great for testing areas that may have many CPU intensive effects added.

Setting the value above the default 200MBs, has been known to cause many adverse problems, for some people. So unless you are actually going to use Shift + B function, it is best to leave at 200MBs.

If you are rendering to MPEG2 for DVD format, I have found that turning off GPU Acceleration may be required when rendering just to this output format.
I have never been able to find out why, but on my own computer, GPU Acceleration has always had a negative effect when rendering to MPEG2.
So I always have to remember to turn it off, when making DVDs, otherwise the render times are really slow or sometimes freeze in the middle.

Replied by vkmast on topic Movie StudioPlatinum 12 suite

Posted 13 Dec 2016 23:01 #8
If JoeW installed MSP 12 build 895, note that it is 32-bit. See e.g online Help (F1) > About MSP > General for your build number.
The builds 896 and 1184 are 64-bit and the only "notable fix/change" in the latter (last) build that is mentioned in the Release Notes is "added Chinese language support."

Most of the Sony Vegas versions are indeed downloadable from the SCS archive address as Derek again mentioned.
There are some exceptions though such as Sony Vegas Pro 12 and 13. The MAGIX Vegas forum has a summary of the current (last week anyway) download situation in section 4. in this thread there . The advice there to download and archive your installers has been mentioned several times on this forum as well but it's worth repeating.
Last Edit:13 Dec 2016 23:04 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 14 Dec 2016 00:02 #9
Thanks for the replies guys! Sorry, as I mentioned, I wasn't sure of the build number cause I was no longer at my computer.. it was in fact the 896 64bit build listed as "suite". Also, remember the same long rendering results occurred with the original installed build as well as the updated build.

I will return memory to 200 and graphics off and retry, but regardless, both vers. 12 and 13 were set the same and the same 2 minute clip took 17 minutes on ver. 12 while it took 38 seconds using ver. 13. That's the wonder.

Are individual main concept codecs stored in each program's individual folders, or is the same verson and /or the same file shared between program versions 12 and 13?

Obviously something somewhere is the culprit responsible for such a huge rendering time difference, 17 minutes vs 38 seconds!
Last Edit:14 Dec 2016 00:05 by JoeWest

Posted 14 Dec 2016 11:58 #10
Program components are not shared.

If you want to pursue this further, please tell us the exact format, template and settings you used to render with.
Example: Mainconcept AVC/AAC - Internet 1080p
Frame Rate ?
Frame Size ?
Bit Rate Settings ?
Encode Mode selected ?

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.826 seconds