VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved DVD Architect not responding

DVD Architect not responding was created by Don1937

Posted 22 Sep 2017 19:33 #1
Good Morning Derek
I have been happily and successfully using Sony Vegas Movie Studio +Architect with Windows 7 on my PC for many years to edit and burn my home movies. Recently, my HD crashed and it had to be replaced. While doing this, I succumbed to the constant advertising and upgraded to Movie Studio 14.0 Platinum with its associated DVD Architect, as well as replacing Windows 7 with Windows 10. Since the upgrade, I have not had any response from the Architect program. I am able to edit as previously on Movie Studio but when the material is sent to Architect, the computer freezes with various 'error' messages and the only way out is through "Task Manager" which tells me the program is not responding.
When I went to the "Sony" help line which I had used previously, I was informed that Sony had sold their software to "Magix" and no help was available. I have tried Vegas Forum groups and have been communicating with a member of the Magix support team in Germany. After requesting a number of screenshots of the error messages, this person apologised for not being able to assist. I have uninstalled and re-installed the new programs and when this did not work, attempted to re-install the original programs from the disks. As expected the original programs were unsuccessful. Following my recent return from overseas with new movie material, I have been able to successfully edit and render a small part of this material. Sending it to Architect looked to be successful and I was able to preview the edited material. However, when I clicked on "Make DVD" the computer froze (with no error message this time) and the only way out was again through Task Manager.
I would greatly appreciate your advice as, at present, I am in possession of a program which is totally useless.
Don
Last Edit:06 Oct 2017 10:16 by Don1937

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic DVD Architect not responding

Posted 22 Sep 2017 20:13 #2
Hi Don

Thanks for posting on the forum :)

I am hoping that your problem has a simple solution.
The original build version for Vegas DVD Architect had a bug, which prevented Vegas Movie Studio and DVD Architect from communicating properly.
This bug was fixed in a free build version update that was released a couple of months ago.

To check which versions you have installed, open each program and go to Help/About.
The latest build version for Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum is #148.
The latest build version for Vegas DVD Architect is #67.

You can download VMS14P #148 from here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-movie-studio-update-build-127-build-148--108240/

You can download DVDA #67 from here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-dvd-architect-update-2-build-67--107128/

I am hoping that installing these new build versions will fix your problem.
It may be a good idea to also do a full program reset after you install the updates for both programs.
Instructions for how to reset are here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

If this does not fix your problem, I do have other ideas....

Windows 10 question
Did you perform the automatic upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10
OR
Did you perform a "Clean Install" of Windows 10 and then re-install all your programs ?

A clean install is when you start fresh and remove everything from the previous Operating System.
A large number of people experienced a wide range of problems, after performing the automatic upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10.
The problem with doing only the upgrade, is that a large amount of garbage files are left behind from the previous OS.
Many programs simply don't work properly after the upgrade.
Because of this BIG problem, I recommended that everyone perform a clean install of Windows 10 after upgrading.
It is a pain to do this and takes a lot of time, however it guarantees a clean system.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:22 Sep 2017 20:15 by DoctorZen

Replied by Don1937 on topic DVD Architect not responding

Posted 22 Sep 2017 21:10 #3
Thank you Derek.
I'll work on it over the weekend
Don
by Don1937

Posted 22 Sep 2017 22:15 #4
Good Evening Derek
I have checked to installed versions:
Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum is #122, and
Vegas DVD Architect is #67.
I have made two attempts to download VMS14P #148, first from the site you listed, and then from my Magix account reference. Each time, the following has come up and the installation stops:

ERROR: -2147163964 occurred during installation
Could you write value to key \vmspe 140\shell\Open\command. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Don
by Don1937

Posted 22 Sep 2017 23:50 #5
This does not sound good at all - it seems like you have a problem with your computer and Windows.
I know of no other person who has reported a problem like this.

I asked one very important question, which you haven't answered yet.
Did you do a "clean install" of Windows 10 or did you upgrade from W7 to W10 ?

If you have a Windows files permissions problem, that may also explain your problems with DVD Architect.

If this problem was happening on my own computer, I would recommend you do a complete Clean Install of all your Magix/Vegas programs.
Simply un-installing and re-installing programs over and over again, that are not working correctly, often will do nothing.
For a re-installation to work properly, you first need to do a deep removal of the programs - this will remove all fragments and allow you to start fresh. Going by the error you have, it looks like you have a problem in the Windows Registry. A clean install involves removing registry values before you re-install.

Another Vegas user on this forum had a similar problem recently, and I posted detailed instructions on how to do a clean install of Vegas here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/1592-vegas-stuck-on-staring-gets-to-creating-video-plug-in-factory-and-just-stays-there#7982
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 23 Sep 2017 06:17 #6
Thank you.
My Windows 10 was installed when I had to replace my computer some months ago, and at the same time the upgraded Vegas programs were purchased. I can only assume that it was a "clean install". I will investigate further with the person who built my current computer.
by Don1937

Posted 27 Sep 2017 16:50 #7
Good Afternoon Derek. I've been spending some time on my problem with the following results. I checked to make sure the Windows 10 was a clean install ... it was installed onto my new computer at the same time the updated Vegas program was installed. After contacting the Magix technical department, I was able to install Movie Studio 14.0 Build 148. So now I have VMS 14.0P #148 and DVD Architect #67. However, while I am able to edit my material as previously with no problem and I am able to preview the material on Architect, once the "Make Movie" is pressed to burn the DVD, the whole program freezes, and Task Manager indicates that the program is not responding. As a trial, I have uninstalled the two most recent programs and installed the original VMS and Architect using the reference numbers in my Magix account. This was unsuccessful. I have uninstalled and re-installed the VMS 14.0 P and Architect a number of times from my Magix account, but nothing changes. I'm wondering if the program I bought is flawed and I keep installing the ongoing problem.
Don
by Don1937

Replied by vkmast on topic DVD Architect not responding

Posted 27 Sep 2017 18:58 #8
Odd. As you seem to have Sony DVD Architect Studio 5, you could install it as well and try if it works. In MVMSP 14 render with compliant MPEG-2 DVD Architect AND DD AC-3 Studio templates. To test, use "Insert Media..." to have the rendered files in DVD AS 5. (Insert the *.mpg and *.ac3 will also follow if they have the same file name and are in the same folder). See if Make DVD works there.

Btw, did you try resetting as advised in post #2 by Derek?
by vkmast

Posted 28 Sep 2017 10:06 #9
I can assure you Don, that no one else is having the same problem you are with the program.
I make a lot of DVDs and Blu-ray discs and have not experienced any problems with using Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum and Vegas DVD Architect.
Either something on your computer has become corrupted or another un-related program you installed, has caused a problem.

Let's try and keep this as simple as possible and trouble shoot the problem together.

I need answers to all these questions:
1. Have you tried resetting all your programs, using the instructions I provided ?
Resetting your programs is always the first step to do, when you are experiencing problems like yours.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

2. I need to know the exact answer to this question!
In your last message, you said the whole program freezes when you press the Make Movie button.
Is this exactly what is happening? As soon as you press Make Movie, the program freezes ?
OR
Are you also selecting one of the next options in the Make Movie Menu and then it freezes?

If this is what is happening, it would indicate you have a problem with .NET Framework on your Windows 10 computer.
.NET Framework is a Microsoft program, that Vegas uses to perform a lot of critical functions.

3. Another thing that can also cause this error, is if Vegas was not installed on the C-Drive.
The default place that all programs should normally be installed on a computer, is on the C-Drive.
If you have more than one Hard Drive or SSD (Solid State Drive) on your computer and installed Vegas on the D-Drive, this can cause major problems.

You can easily check to make sure Vegas is installed on the C-Drive.
Navigate to this address on your computer and here is where you should find Vegas.
C:\Program Files\VEGAS\Movie Studio Platinum 14.0

How to Repair .NET Framework
There are two ways to try and fix .NET Framework.
The first is a simple method. If this simple method does not fix your problem, use the Microsoft Repair Tool.

Method 1
Go to the Windows Control Panel and select Programs and Features.
Select Turn Windows features on or off.

This window will open up.

Verify that .Net Framework 4.5 (or higher) is enabled.
If the box for .NET Framework 4.5 is not enabled (not filled in), enable it by clicking the box.
Click OK to close the Windows Feature window and reboot the computer.

If .Net Framework 4.5 (or higher) is already enabled,
you can repair .Net Framework by clearing the box and rebooting the computer.
After the reboot, go back to this window and re-enable .Net Framework and reboot the computer again.

Verify that .Net Framework 3.5 is enabled.
If the box for .NET Framework 3.5 is not enabled (not filled in),
enable the it by clicking the box.
Click OK to close the Windows Feature window and reboot the computer.

If .Net Framework 3.5 is already enabled,
you can repair .Net framework by clearing the box and rebooting the computer.
After the reboot, re-enable .Net framework and reboot the computer again.

Method 2
If method one does not fix your Vegas "Make Movie" problem, try using the official Microsoft Repair Tool.
www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=30135
Last Edit:28 Sep 2017 10:16 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Posted 28 Sep 2017 21:08 #10
Good Evening Derek. Thank you for your continued advice. This whole thing has turned out to be a nightmare. I cannot believe that a simple upgrade would cause such problems. In answer to your questions:
1. I have tried resetting the programs according to your instructions a number of times.
2. The 'freeze' is as I described it - I send the rendered project from Movie Studio to DVD Architect, and with no further action on this page, I hit "Make DVD" and Task Manager tells me the program is not responding.
3. Vegas is installed on the C Drive and no other.

I have tried both Method 1 and Method 2 to Repair .NET Framework, with no change to the DVD Architect reaction.
by Don1937

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.865 seconds