VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Movie Studio 16 Platinum crashes when opening projects

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio 16 Platinum crashes when opening projects

Posted 16 Apr 2021 21:03 #11
This is getting complicated, because you have 2x different computers in the mix and 2x different versions of Vegas Movie Studio as well.
For me to help, you need to keep this as simple as possible and stick to just one machine and one version of Vegas MS.

On a clean install of Windows 10, you shouldn't be experiencing crashes so quickly.
This makes me think there is a problem with your actual .vf project file.
Unfortunately people always ask for my help after everything has gone wrong.

Please take note of this from this pint forward!
When working on large complex projects, always save progressive versions of your project, so that if something goes wrong, you can re-open a slightly older version and not loose any work.
This means using the Save As function every 10 minutes or so and creating files like this:
my_project_101.vf
my_project_102.vf
my_project_103.vf
my_project_104.vf
my_project_105.vf.....................

The first thing I would have done after a clean install of Windows 10 and Vegas Movie Studio, is to create some test projects and make sure that they are not crashing.
DON'T install any 3rd party NBFX at this stage.
Just add some videos, do some saves and renders.
If everything is working OK, install just the most important NBFX you use.
Then add some of these FX and Transitions to your test project and see if everything remains stable.
I have no experience on NBFX Titler Pro Express 7 - for all I know, that could be the root cause of your problem.
I use NBFX Titler Pro and it works OK for me.

If Vegas works OK with NBFX in a NEW project and doesn't crash, that means there is a problem in your original project file.
If the project file is corrupt, the only thing to do is start from scratch.
But this time remember to do progressive saves!!!

I recommend you read part of my reply to another member of the forum here.
Read what I said from Part 6 onwards.
This is a way to copy parts of a project into a new project file.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/2855-movie-studio-17-0-platinum-freezes-at-30#14368

VERSIONS
A final thing to be aware of.
v16 projects will open in v17
However, v17 projects will not open in v17.

Intel HD Graphics
There is a new setting in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17.
Go to Options/Preferences/File I/O
Make sure Hardware decoder is NOT set to Intel HD Graphics.
If you have an Nvidia graphics card, only set to Nvidia.
If set to Intel, it is bound to be the cause of all problems!!!

All of the advice I have given you, I have done myself in the past.
What I learnt, was to remain patient and do lots of TESTING before you try and go back to the problem project.
If the project file is the problem, start fresh.
But you have to be careful with 3rd party FX.
I can't explain why you are having so many problems with your NBFX, because you haven't installed different versions of the same thing.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Apr 2021 21:08 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CSano
  • CSano's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by CSano on topic Movie Studio 16 Platinum crashes when opening projects

Posted 17 Apr 2021 09:38 #12
You are right, this has gotten far too complicated much too quickly!  Let me go over what I did (just to be clear we're both on the same page) and also add some comments to address some of your suggestions.

1. Started a project on my main video-editing desktop computer using VMS 16 Platinum, worked on it for approximately 40 hours over the course of 2 weeks.  The media added into VMS included jpg pictures, various types of video files (MOV, MTS, & MP4 formats), & music files in MP3 format  Over the 40 hours I saved the project constantly (but not to progressive different files, just the same filename).  There were no indications that VMS v16 was having any problems with anything in the project.  At that point, I stopped working on the project for a few days. 

2. After the few day rest, I tried to resume working on the project but VMS 16 kept crashing when trying to open the project .  This is when I checked some of your forum topics and also contacted you.

3. After reading what your suggestions were for other threads, I did a full program reset and changed the "open last project" and GPU Acceleration preferences.  My project still crashed VMS16 so I then uninstalled all NBFX plugins & VMS 16.  I reinstalled VMS16 without the NBFX plugins, changed the preferences and tried opening my project.  Again, the project crashed VMS 16.

4. At this point, you responded to my initial request for help and suggested I do the steps I already performed above.  I repeated those steps for good measure but still was not able to open the project.

5. Your next suggestion was to try downloading the trial of v17, which I did but got the same crash when opening my project.

6. While waiting for your response, I tried downloading and installing the trial of VMS 17 onto a different computer (a laptop), copying the folder with all of my project files to the laptops SSD and was able to open the project.  I reviewed the entire project and everything displayed correctly.

7. I then continued working on my project on the laptop in VMS 17 for 2 or 3 days (adding another 12 - 15 hours of work to the project).  Again, constantly saving the project (but this time in progressive steps with different filenames).  There was no indication that VMS 17 had any problems.

8. At this point, I remembered that I had a clone of the OS for the desktop computer and booted it with the cloned drive externally.  The VMS 16 project crashed.  I then installed the cloned drive internally and booted the desktop computer.  This time I was able to open the VMS 16 project but since I had already added to that project using VMS 17 on the laptop, I decided to just continue working on the project on the laptop.

9. After mentioning the cloned OS, your next response was to suggest doing a "clean install" of the OS and all programs.  I spent the day restoring my desktop computer back to a "clean, out-of-the-box" state.  I reloaded VMS 17 onto that computer, copied all of the project files from the laptop to the desktop computers HDD and the project crashed VMS 17 on the first attempt.

10. After getting nowhere with the desktop computer, I went back to work on the project on the laptop.  However, now the project crashes VMS 17 on the laptop as well.  I tried opening all of the other saved versions of the project that I created while adding to it on the laptop but every single one of them crashed VMS 17.

With those details out of the way, let me get to your last message:

It does appear to me that maybe the initial .vf project file was already corrupted since it was already crashing VMS 16 on my desktop computer.  My question is, "how does a project file get corrupted when I'm not doing anything special?"  I was only using standard video files (MOV, MTS & MP$), JPGs, & MP3 music files,  I may have used NBFX features once or twice in the initial project before it started crashing VMS 16 but as you saw, I did not have any other versions of NBFX installed.

Another question -- if the initial VMS 16 .vf project was corrupt, how was I able to open it in VMS 17 and work on it on the laptop for a few days before it started to crash VMS 17?  The laptop is relatively new (no cloned drives) and no prior installation of VMS or NBFX.

Another question -- why do my older projects crash VMS 16 now when they worked fine the last time I worked on them?

I checked  your video to copy parts of one project to another but I can't do that since I can't even get any saved versions of my projects to open.

I also checked the HD Intel Graphics setting in VMS 17 on both the laptop and the desktop after the "clean install" and it was already set to my NVidia card on both machines.

I apologize if it feels like I'm taking my frustrations out on you.  I really haven't had any luck getting help anywhere else.  It also doesn't help that MAGIX doesn't have any type of support for their Vegas products.  This isn't the first time I've had weird quirky, problems using VMS.  I've had similar weird, unexpected things happen on at least 30% of the projects I've done.  For my current project I'm recreating it using Adobe Premier Elements and am seriously considering not using VMS any more.

I will probably concentrate on getting my project done on Adobe since I still have a deadline for that but would still appreciate any more suggestions you have to fix VMS.  I really like using VMS when it is working but I have had so many problems with the different versions over the years I am seriously considering changing to something else.

Thank you again for your help.

Calvin

by CSano

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio 16 Platinum crashes when opening projects

Posted 18 Apr 2021 16:59 #13
I have already spent a lot of time replying to you and it is a bit exhausting now.

Anyone on this forum and website, knows that I try to make everything as simple as possible, using a process of elimination.
99% of problems are caused by one simple thing and the goal is to find that one thing.
There are times where something is overlooked, but because I'm not on your computer, I am working in the dark and guessing half the time.

Your very first message to me included a crash report, which indicated your problem was being caused by multiple versions of the same NBFX.
That's why we went down that path.

Now you have reported that Vegas is crashing when NBFX are not installed.

Everything seems to indicate there is a problem on your computer, outside of Vegas, that is causing all these crashes.

There are two things I should have asked, which I am asking now.
1. If Vegas produced a crash report when it crashed with no NBFX installed, I need to see that report.
In fact, I need to see every single crash report that is not the same.
Crash reports normally are very good and pointing to the exact pathway on your computer, that is causing the problem.

2. The other thing I need to see and know, is the exact type of video that is in your project/s.
I will never be able to help you if you keep switching to different projects with different videos, in different computers.
So if I am to continue with this, you need to stick with the SAME project that is crashing and tell me everything about it.
Where did your videos come from?
Example: GoPro, Video camera, Mobile phone, Screen Capture, etc...
Please upload data reported for every different type of video that is in your project.
Use MediaInfo app to do this. I have a tutorial on what to do here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/640-how-to-use-mediainfo-app

3. If Vegas is now crashing all the time for everything, the simplest thing to do is forget about your existing projects for now and create a simple test project with one type of video.
Add just one NBFX Video FX - something that is in your actual project.
Does doing a test project crash?

I don't know if I have already said this to you, but after a "Clean Install" of Windows 10, forget about any existing projects.
The first thing you should do is extremely basic TEST PROJECTS with just one video and maybe one effect, then it is easier to locate actual problems.

4. On rare occasions .vf Project Files can become corrupted - this normally happens on BIG projects which you have re-saved over and over and over again.
A project file is just a list of text instructions, but sometimes one instruction/line doesn't save cleanly.
That is why it is better to use Save As and save progressive saves.

5. It might be time that you post your problem on the official Vegas Forums here.
Someone else maybe able to spot something I have missed, but more than likely they will go over the same ideas that I have shared.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-movie-studio-forum/

6. For all I know it could be the Nvidia Driver you are using, that has caused the problem.
Nvidia has 100's of GPU models and 100's of different driver versions.
Sometimes a Driver has a bug that screws up a particular graphics card model.
This happened to me when I was using a much older Nvidia GPU - the solution was to install an older version.
I'm just saying this as an example of something that could be affecting only YOUR computer.
The list is endless when it comes to drivers, motherboard and versions of Windows.
I just built a new computer 3 months ago and it kept freezing on me.
After months of going crazy, it ended up being my Corsair CPU cooler which is connected to a USB header, that was causing the computer to freeze.
I had to install a different brand cooler and touch wood, it seems to be fixed now!

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:18 Apr 2021 17:02 by DoctorZen

• CSano
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by CSano on topic Movie Studio 16 Platinum crashes when opening projects

Posted 22 Apr 2021 07:47 #14
Hi Derek,

I am finally finishing up my project using Adobe Premier and apologize again for being such a pain.  I needed to get this project done and just didn't have the time to do all of the trouble-shooting to get the project done in VMS.  I have read all of your suggestions and think I at least have a game plan to follow.  When I have more time, I will try to recreate the project in VMS step by step to see if I can find where the problem came from.

Thank you again for taking the time to try to help.

Calvin

by CSano

Posted 22 Apr 2021 12:34 #15

Hi Derek,

I am finally finishing up my project using Adobe Premier and apologize again for being such a pain.  I needed to get this project done and just didn't have the time to do all of the trouble-shooting to get the project done in VMS.  I have read all of your suggestions and think I at least have a game plan to follow.  When I have more time, I will try to recreate the project in VMS step by step to see if I can find where the problem came from.

Thank you again for taking the time to try to help.

Calvin

Thanks for the update :)

Posted 11 May 2021 12:39 #16
Hi Calvin

I now realize there is a MAJOR problem with anyone who has 5.1 Surround Audio in their Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16 or 17 projects.
Somehow I missed this one until today.

As Eric has already said, a Windows Update has broken Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16, Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17, Vegas Pro 17 and Vegas Pro 18.
Yesterday an update was released for Vegas Pro 18 which has fixed this problem, so I expect the same fix to be released for VMSP16, VMSP17 and Vegas Pro 17.
I have sent an urgent message to my contact at Magix, to ask for a update about this problem and when a solution may be released.
When I get an update, I will reply again here.

For now, it is impossible to import any video into Vegas Movie Studio Platinum that includes 5.1 Audio tracks.
It is also impossible to open an existing project that includes videos with 5.1 Audio tracks.
The most common video type that this applies to is .M2TS video that was recorded with a conventional Video Camera.
Only Stereo audio will import.

• CSano
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 11 May 2021 15:20 #17
Hi Derek,

That may explain the problems I've been having.  I have tested a few small projects in VMS16 since my last email but only used stereo audio and had no problems importing, editing and rendering them.

I would appreciate hearing back from you if/when you hear about a solution.  Thank you again for all of your help.

Calvin

by CSano

Posted 11 May 2021 15:44 #18
Over the last 6 weeks I have had an ever increasing number of people contacting me for help - all with similar problems.
I started to suspect something MAJOR was going on, a few days ago.
It's rare for me to edit with 5.1 Audio, so I never experienced the problem personally.

This is a MAJOR problem in my book - it doesn't get much worse than this!!!
MAGIX must fix this for ALL versions of Vegas affected - immediately.
I will definitely be following up on this and will make some public statements in the next few days on all my social media accounts.

I'm hoping and praying they do the right thing and release updates for VMSP16, VMSP17 and Vegas Pro 17.
An update to fix same problem with Vegas Pro 18 was released just over 24 hours ago.

Last Edit:11 May 2021 15:46 by DoctorZen

Posted 12 May 2021 13:18 #19
Update about 5.1 Surround Sound AC-3 Audio bug (.m2ts video files)
I have spoken with my contact at Magix.
An update will be released for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17 very, very soon - next couple of days hopefully.
They are not planning to release update for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16, which I think sucks.
So if you want to get this fixed, you will need to upgrade to Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17 and install update when it is released.

Updates for Vegas Pro 18 and Vegas Pro 17 have already been released !

• CSano
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 12 May 2021 13:39 #20
Wow, that dues suck!!!  Do you know if VMS15 also suffers from the same problem?  I purchased VMS15 Platinum before upgrading to VMS16 and would probably make use of that version instead of spending any more money on products from a company that won't support it's own software.

by CSano

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.070 seconds